Ready to buy Gen2(or 3) - but all dealerships way over MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm mentally and financially ready to dive into the world of Raptor ownership and can't wait to post a pic of her! I live in Los Angeles, CA and I've been eyeing the market for the last several days. Granted, I'm green as grass when it comes to the overall Raptor market (or how dealerships even work, honestly).

Just looking at prices in my local area, they just intuitively seem marked-up - is this a regional thing? If Gen 3 is so close around the corner (and I saw some posts about potential dealerships selling them at MSRP), seems just logical to wait for Gen3 at this point? Definitely want a Raptor with the 802a package - the upgraded sound + moonroof are must haves for me (and the wife, and the two dogs).

Any advice on the overall current market on Raptors would be greatly appreciated (I'm also more than happy to read/research, just point me to a link/right direction and I can do my own due diligence - I promise I'm not lazy!).

Thank you all kindly!

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, welcome to the place!

There's a bunch of threads floating around here on similar topics, but to sum up: you're looking to buy at possibly the all time worst time to try to buy a Raptor for a few reasons.

1) location: Raptor prices are affected by region, CA in particular (west coast in general) has the highest prices and dealers budge the least. Generally the further east you go, the better the price. Consider finding one out east and flying out/driving back to buy it.

2) scarcity: with no more Gen 2's being produced, the demand is still high and supply is low. Daily there's posts about guys getting offered MORE than what they paid for the truck on trade in. I'm not in the car sales game but I reckon dealers know there's money to be made by pumping the value of these trucks for as long as supply remains low and Gen 3's aren't hitting showrooms.

3) uncertainty with Gen 3: there was an article/press release last week by Ford announcing that they're scaling down a few of their plants (including Dearborn) due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage. I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but around me, the Chevy, Toyota, Ram, and Ford dealer lots are looking as spartan as I've ever seen car lots. We likely don't know how deep this is affecting the car industry as a whole but to think it won't affect the roll out of the Gen 3 would be naive.

Dealerships are likely lying/BSing about pricing and availability, the only people who actually have a clue live and work in Dearborn MI. I always get a chuckle when dealerships try to act in the know, they're likely blowing smoke up your ass to keep you as a customer so they can shove that sweet sweet ADM on you later.

TLDR: good luck, try the used market preferably private party (for sale section on here and FB seem to be good starting points), and seriously good luck because the market is as tough as it's ever been.

OP
OP
Rob87

Rob87

Reaction score
First, welcome to the place!

There's a bunch of threads floating around here on similar topics, but to sum up: you're looking to buy at possibly the all time worst time to try to buy a Raptor for a few reasons.

1) location: Raptor prices are affected by region, CA in particular (west coast in general) has the highest prices and dealers budge the least. Generally the further east you go, the better the price. Consider finding one out east and flying out/driving back to buy it.

2) scarcity: with no more Gen 2's being produced, the demand is still high and supply is low. Daily there's posts about guys getting offered MORE than what they paid for the truck on trade in. I'm not in the car sales game but I reckon dealers know there's money to be made by pumping the value of these trucks for as long as supply remains low and Gen 3's aren't hitting showrooms.

3) uncertainty with Gen 3: there was an article/press release last week by Ford announcing that they're scaling down a few of their plants (including Dearborn) due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage. I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but around me, the Chevy, Toyota, Ram, and Ford dealer lots are looking as spartan as I've ever seen car lots. We likely don't know how deep this is affecting the car industry as a whole but to think it won't affect the roll out of the Gen 3 would be naive.

Dealerships are likely lying/BSing about pricing and availability, the only people who actually have a clue live and work in Dearborn MI. I always get a chuckle when dealerships try to act in the know, they're likely blowing smoke up your ass to keep you as a customer so they can shove that sweet sweet ADM on you later.

TLDR: good luck, try the used market preferably private party (for sale section on here and FB seem to be good starting points), and seriously good luck because the market is as tough as it's ever been.

Thank you so much for your response. Confirmed all my fears, hah. Sounds like I've picked the absolute worst time (I seem to be good at that) - but hey, I'm down for the challenge!

Sloracer

Reaction score
I looked for about 2 months in November-December 2020 just to get a feel for the market on Carfax since their search method seemed to filter for Raptors the best. Anything around 20k miles or less would be listed at or above msrp when new at any dealer out west. That really bugged me but I was convinced I would fly out east or deal with shipping. A ton of inventory was available down south compared to NorCal, so I think you'll see better inventory than I did.
In January this year I got a bit more serious and test drove and offered 3-4k less on a few vehicles somewhat localish, and although I wasn't laughed at, I never rec'd a call back and that truck was off the lot/internet within a few days.

I ended up starting to search every day on the internet and finally had one "pop up" that was exactly what I was looking at just with more mileage but also a better price. Totally happy with the purchase, I'm still happy every time I get in to drive. Beyond.

Mistakes I made.... I should have joined this forum while I was looking at trucks. I checked a few times and read some stuff, but did not regularly visit the site and see the for sale Raptors that pop up or the kind of great info I get by reading the forum on a regular basis. I literally would have found my same truck with the suspension/bumper/lighting mods I still need to do available for about what I paid for mine with less miles and a reasonable distance away. I would have known that the owner drove it hard but also took care of it because I get the feeling everyone on here takes care of their truck and it's in the best condition possible aside from driving it the way it was meant to be driven. PEople take care of their trucks around here, so good for you for being here early.

I'd look at trucks on this forum, figure out what you like, and then stay patient in the market place. One might pop up on here, and if you keep a close eye on the internet searches you may find what you want there. Don't settle for the wrong color or options just because you're ready to buy now, and when it comes down to it you really aren't going to be able to negotiate the price down at a dealer as someone is out there looking for the same truck. Just my thoughts on it, HTH!

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine in Oct 2020. I live in Utah and prices out west were/are crazy. I ended up flying to WV and driving one home. Took my son with me and made it an adventure.

I’d recommend that you broaden your search area and start looking farther east. You’ll find some better deals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think I'm about the only person who bought their Raptor at the right time. I bought my 2020 Raptor last year in March when nothing was selling, and actually paid $68,000 for a truck that stickered for $74,000. I guess being lucky every now and then doesn't hurt.

I've looked at the market for fun, and if KBB is accurate, then my truck is worth a stupid amount right now (see below). My problem is if I was tempted to do something stupid and get rid of my truck, what the hell would I replace it with that is this nice, comfortable, and consistently gets 500 miles or more out of a tank of gas? I mean, the TRX is cool and all, if you can trust it to run (jump on the TRX forum and prepare to shit yourself at QC Issues).

Anyway, I guess I fell a little off topic. Good luck with your search. There's deals to be had out there, but it's not an easy market right now.

KBB Private.jpg KBB Trade.jpg

RonPorter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy in Idaho or Montana. Yes you will come back and pay Ca 10% tax but you will still save 10k+

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think I'm about the only person who bought their Raptor at the right time. I bought my 2020 Raptor last year in March when nothing was selling, and actually paid $68,000 for a truck that stickered for $74,000. I guess being lucky every now and then doesn't hurt. I’m a used car manager for a very large dealer that’s how I know this!

I've looked at the market for fun, and if KBB is accurate, then my truck is worth a stupid amount right now (see below). My problem is if I was tempted to do something stupid and get rid of my truck, what the hell would I replace it with that is this nice, comfortable, and consistently gets 500 miles or more out of a tank of gas? I mean, the TRX is cool and all, if you can trust it to run (jump on the TRX forum and prepare to shit yourself at QC Issues).

Anyway, I guess I fell a little off topic. Good luck with your search. There's deals to be had out there, but it's not an easy market right now.

View attachment 165457 View attachment 165458
Kbb does not buy trucks this is the real money they are bring a Mannheim auto auction. They are bringing 71-75k at THE AUCTION ( aka if you follow what KBB says 68k that dealer will take the truck to the auction and make about 5,000$ when they sell to another dealer for Mannheim market value )

C36632F2-D001-4683-9D29-614D0E629769.jpeg

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Kbb does not buy trucks this is the real money they are bring a Mannheim auto auction. They are bringing 71-75k at THE AUCTION ( aka if you follow what KBB says 68k that dealer will take the truck to the auction and make about 5,000$ when they sell to another dealer for Mannheim market value )

View attachment 165469

Well if somebody wants to give me $74,000 I’d consider it. If not, I’ll suffer and continue to drive my truck. It will be tough, but I think I’ll be ok. :)