Want to buy new Gen 3 Avalanche in or near Texas ideally 37 package but open to 35.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why don’t you drive with a truck cover this way your truck will never get nicked. Good idea bro.
Because I use my bed. I’m not some bozo from Dix Hills, NY who drives it around in hopes that people will think I’m cool.

Last edited:

Aleja_333

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put 37's on a 35 but is not the same as getting the 37 package. The 37 package has odometer calibration for the bigger size tires, the shocks are also tuned for the 37's and the ECU has been update for proper shifting and throttle response on the 37's.

I test drove both the 37 and 35 on the same day back to back and to my surprise, the 37 package drove better. Subtle difference but enough to notice it.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can put 37's on a 35 but is not the same as getting the 37 package. The 37 package has odometer calibration for the bigger size tires, the shocks are also tuned for the 37's and the ECU has been update for proper shifting and throttle response on the 37's.

I test drove both the 37 and 35 on the same day back to back and to my surprise, the 37 package drove better. Subtle difference but enough to notice it.
You can adjust for tires and shift points with the Forscan software and a $50 cable. It will then drive exactly the same as one from Ford with 37s.

Driving better would be your opinion because there is give and take with running a larger tire.

I’m always amazed when someone who doesn’t own the truck and most likely has little to no mechanical knowledge tries to tell everyone how it works. Four posts in and this guy is an expert.

Last edited:

Aleja_333

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can adjust for tires and shift points with the Forscan software and a $50 cable. It will then drive exactly the same as one from Ford with 37s.

Driving better would be your opinion because there is give and take with running a larger tire.

I’m always amazed when someone who doesn’t own the truck and most likely has little to no mechanical knowledge tries to tell everyone how it works. Four posts in and this guy is an expert.
Mechanical Engineer here that doesn't own a Raptor but have plenty of experience building trucks. Doesn't matter how you paint it, a 35 Raptor will not drive and handle the same as a 37 package. You might think it does but it doesn't. Maybe if you only drive on pavement you won't noticed much difference, but off road will be a different story. A 37 tire can be easily 15-25 lbs heavier than a 35 tire. Do you know the result of suspension dynamics by an extra 15-25 lbs of rotating mass? Why do you think Ford Performance spent the time and resources to have a different suspension tune on the 37 package? Is not for ***** and giggles.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mechanical Engineer here that doesn't own a Raptor but have plenty of experience building trucks. Doesn't matter how you paint it, a 35 Raptor will not drive and handle the same as a 37 package. You might think it does but it doesn't. Maybe if you only drive on pavement you won't noticed much difference, but off road will be a different story. A 37 tire can be easily 15-25 lbs heavier than a 35 tire. Do you know the result of suspension dynamics by an extra 15-25 lbs of rotating mass? Why do you think Ford Performance spent the time and resources to have a different suspension tune on the 37 package? Is not for ***** and giggles.
Also an engineer here. It really depends on the scenario and if the wheels are like for like. In most everyday driving the average person would not be able to tell the difference and I’d be surprised if even an expert would notice.
Tire/wheel combo is anther variable. Depending on what you choose a 37 combo can be lighter than the stock 35 combo. So if you want to get specific a 37 PP truck with an aftermarket combo would also drive differently than stock but again most average drivers couldn’t tell the difference. Especially when it comes to just a few lbs.

Interesting enough you as an engineer said "The 37 package has odometer calibration for the bigger size tires, the shocks are also tuned for the 37's and the ECU has been update for proper shifting and throttle response on the 37's." yet you didn't know that could be easily adjusted with software that is relatively inexpensive or even at the dealership. Sometimes being an engineer is not enough.

Last edited:

CKSIX

Reaction score
Awesome thank you.

I was told by a dealer you'd need to put a 2" lift kit on the truck if you get one with 35s and then 37s - that sounded off to me, but maybe that's the case.

Does that sound right or wrong to you?
That is not the case at all. I put on factory 23 37 wheels/ tires on my 22 35 truck. Fits just fine, as well as spare. Fender gap front and rear measure the same as a factory 37. Good luck.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM tires have a 3 pound difference from 35 package to 37 package, so not negligible, but far from the 15-25 pounds you reference. Yes, still makes a difference, and will be noticeable but not to the degree you may have expected.

Aleja_333

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also an engineer here. It really depends on the scenario and if the wheels are like for like. In most everyday driving the average person would not be able to tell the difference and I’d be surprised if even an expert would notice.
Tire/wheel combo is anther variable. Depending on what you choose a 37 combo can be lighter than the stock 35 combo. So if you want to get specific a 37 PP truck with an aftermarket combo would also drive differently than stock but again most average drivers couldn’t tell the difference. Especially when it comes to just a few lbs.

Interesting enough you as an engineer said "The 37 package has odometer calibration for the bigger size tires, the shocks are also tuned for the 37's and the ECU has been update for proper shifting and throttle response on the 37's." yet you didn't know that could be easily adjusted with software that is relatively inexpensive or even at the dealership. Sometimes being an engineer is not enough.

I didn't said you couldn't adjusted those parameters at all, I know it's all software and can be adjusted. You can make anything happen when you throw money at it. All I was pointing out is the fact that getting a 35 Raptor and putting 37's on it is not the same as getting 37 package from factory. That is a fact and all that I was pointing out.

Also, there are other things like sensors that are not that obvious but are also affected when slapping bigger tires on a car. For example, the adaptive cruise control is very well affected by lifting a car or putting bigger tires without proper calibration. Is it a deal breaker? Probably not, but something to consider. I used to have a Tacoma and know for a fact the adaptive cruise sensor got all wonky when I did a 2.5" lift and 33" tires. And dealers would not do warranty if the vehicle had a lift or bigger than OEM tires.

In any case, my point is there a are a few more things to consider when saying "get a 35 Raptor and put 37's, it will be the same as the 37 package."

All good discussions here though! :)