Rattle at rear , e brake lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reaching out to see if anyone else is experiencing this. At low speeds, backing in driveway, slow speed bumps or slight lateral movement I have a rattle/tapping sound from what sounds like rear of truck. Looked under and ubolts and leaf springs look tight. Only thing I can think of is the e brake cables. The cables are very loose and I can see where they are rubbing on the leaf spring. Just moving them around with my hand it’s a pretty loud tapping sound. Next step is to get a friend to move the cables around while I sit in the truck to see if it’s same sound. I’m 70% sure it’s gonna be the brake cables, problem is how do I secure them from making noise? They are loose so the play in the line allows the e brake to be applied.

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did some more digging...if I push and pull at the rear of the truck near the tail lights, to get the truck shaking laterally fairly quickly I can get a rubbing noise to occur, definitely not the e brake cable. Body mounts? Leaf springs?

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This comes up a lot. If you have taken it offroad at all dust gets into the leaf springs bushing . I took it on since hard runs and it shook itself out. Then it came back. I sprayed some grease in and around the bushings and no noise since.

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, recommend any type of grease? Do you spray the bushings where the leaf spring is bolted to the truck and or the plastic bushings holding the leaf spring pack together at either end?

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shocks rattle , i posted a thread here.

I saw that thread, shocks making clicking sound right? This sound is like rubber rubbing on something...I can replicate it when driving slow and the truck suspension moves slightly lateral. I’m just gonna take it to the dealer, something ain’t right

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After taking it to the dealer was there a solution?

sorry been awhile...horrible experience dealer was able to replicate but had truck for a week trying to isolate. Long story short they greased the crap out of the leafs and they were silent.