Raptor won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcools

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I ordered an iTSX so that I could retune my ECU using my iPod that I keep in my car. I made the mistake of not ordering the iTSX accessory from Mike at 5 Star Tuning but he still allows you access to his library of tunes for an additional cost so I purchased these and loaded the 93 performance tune. This worked perfect. Everything went smooth and I used this tune for a week or 2. Today I went to load on my 87 economy tune and the upload to the car failed. Then it told me to return the car to stock. Now I can't start the car. When I turn the key on engine off, radio and all turns on, but when I try to crank over, nothing happens. The display on the dash comes up and displays a problem with just about every system on the vehicle. So I tried to "return to stock" using the itsx app on my iPod, it asks to turn key on, and when I do this, nothing happens. Is there a way to reset this car back to factory default settings lol? Is there a reset button I can hold down somewhere that will reset the ecu back to the factory state? Someone please help!!!

Thanks,

Brian

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eeewwwww! that sucks man. I've seen vehicles get locked up from being interrupted in the middle of the tune process, and it usually entails getting it towed to the dealer and having them reflash the factory tune. If it won't let you put the factory tune back on, will it let you go ahead and put one of 5 Stars tunes on? At least it would be drivable then. If it was interrupted for some reason, I could see the factory tune being toast (as in half in the ECU and half still in the iTSX), but I would think you could still get one of the other tunes to load. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
bcools

bcools

Reaction score
When I try to reload another custom tune it comes back with an error message stating "Unable to read current version numbers. oxff" or something similar. I will have to double check when I get a chance. This error message prevents the custom tunes from even being accessed and forces programming to end. Damn. Sounds like a trip to the dealership. Ugh. Its not even a month old so what should I tell them to keep it under warranty?

OP
OP
bcools

bcools

Reaction score
Thats actually good to know. Thanks!! I just ordered an x3(assuming thats the same as part number sct 3000 right?). As soon as it happened, I came back inside and ordered that part number frustrated, hoping that using a cable and a little help from SCT I could get this thing running again.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Sucks I gotta wait all the way till monday for that. ugh.

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My X3 has done it twice. You need to call SCT and they will help you out.

that is good to know, thanks. I'm using my iphone to interface, and although I set it on airplane mode to prevent a call/text from interrupting the tuning, I've been very worried about this. thanks

Yogurt Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased same tune from mike at 5STAR, I bought the AFE Intake and ITSX Tuner and was planning on uploading from my IPAD but am worried now with what I just read. Should I use my IPAD on airplane mode or is this unnecessary.

Is this a safe way to do so, I figure using Ipad would prevent calls etc... What does anyone else think.

OP
OP
bcools

bcools

Reaction score
I don't know. I am not largely impressed with the iTSX though its a sweet idea, I think it needs a little more work before it becomes a rock solid interface. I ordered an X3 and that should be here this week. The initial tune went on fine. I used my iPod so I didn't have to worry about call interference. My iPad1 crashed in the middle of uploading on the first try but after 10 mins the car allowed me to use the iPod to upload the tune. I really hope I don't have to have it flatbed hauled to a dealership. Grrrr. Just got a Stage 3 Roush Mustang though so at least Ill have some fun while its in the shop if it happens.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think your going to keep warranty. They can tell if it has been flashed and they will most certainly check that if it isn't running.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats actually good to know. Thanks!! I just ordered an x3(assuming thats the same as part number sct 3000 right?). As soon as it happened, I came back inside and ordered that part number frustrated, hoping that using a cable and a little help from SCT I could get this thing running again.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Sucks I gotta wait all the way till monday for that. ugh.

Had the same thing happen to my Excursion. I had a Bully Dog tuner. Let us know how today goes? I hope you get it fixed without taken it to the Stealer!

Lesson for me was never change a tune on the weekend.

Good Luck!!!!