Raptor save by old Chevy-- No 4wheel Lock in Revrs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yup - you got an issue YMP. I had to play with all 4wd options today just to get outta the driveway.
You should have had at least one wheel peel in the front end - whether you were in low or high.

Now, given your conditions bein snow covered - is it possibly the hubs froze and couldn't engage? That's happened to me once or twice this winter.

Keep us posted - mine's going in on Monday to check the lefr front hub as I'm getting noise there indicative of a stripped hub gear.

OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - you got an issue YMP. I had to play with all 4wd options today just to get outta the driveway.
You should have had at least one wheel peel in the front end - whether you were in low or high.

Now, given your conditions bein snow covered - is it possibly the hubs froze and couldn't engage? That's happened to me once or twice this winter.

Keep us posted - mine's going in on Monday to check the lefr front hub as I'm getting noise there indicative of a stripped hub gear.

will do, im going to try and get it by the dealer some time this week. Im hoping they will just put it on the lift and go through the motions. it shouldnt take more that 10 minutes to determine if I screwed up or the truck has an issue. Im not ruling out either. I already got it stuck.. go figure :)

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Make them take it for a test drive in cold conditions - if it's in the shop for a couple hours - it may not behave like the situation you were in.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
"Ill need to take it to a place and have it fully lifted and then have them engage the 4 wheel drive. high Low forward and reverse locked un locked and see what happens..

very strange, i was in 4 wheel drive low, got stuck, pulled the switch to lock it in, put it in reverse and only the rear spun. The dash said I was locked. they spun forward in drive. I know I wouldnt have walked 6 miles...

Are you talking about your ELD (Electronic locking differential) thats how I understand it the ELD only locks the rear tires together the front differential is still open diff and will spin the tire with least resistance. I would guess if your driver front tire wasn't spinning then the passenger front prob was just by a guess but it neither tire was spinning then it would sound like 4x4 issue.Correct me if I'm wrong but sounds like you were thinking the front tires should be locked like the rear should.?

OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about your ELD (Electronic locking differential) thats how I understand it the ELD only locks the rear tires together the front differential is still open diff and will spin the tire with least resistance. I would guess if your driver front tire wasn't spinning then the passenger front prob was just by a guess but it neither tire was spinning then it would sound like 4x4 issue.Correct me if I'm wrong but sounds like you were thinking the front tires should be locked like the rear should.?

Come to think of it, your right . I was looking out at my driver front tire and it was not spinning.. I guess I was thinking that when it was locked it would lock the front and rear.. (my 700 grizzle atv has that feature and i was thinking the Ford ELD locked everything)

I need to ask my buddy who was with me if the passenger was spinning. Im sure it was...

I was stressing at the time because i was stuck miles from civilization. Sounds like I cant blame this on the truck.. I believe it may have been the indian not the arrow. Doh! :crazy:

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score

This. Pulling out the selector knob engages the rear locker, which has no effect on the front wheels obviously.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Come to think of it, your right . I was looking out at my driver front tire and it was not spinning.. I guess I was thinking that when it was locked it would lock the front and rear.. (my 700 grizzle atv has that feature and i was thinking the Ford ELD locked everything)

I need to ask my buddy who was with me if the passenger was spinning. Im sure it was...

I was stressing at the time because i was stuck miles from civilization. Sounds like I cant blame this on the truck.. I believe it may have been the indian not the arrow. Doh! :crazy:

ood deal! At least you doon't have problem w/the truck itself. saves you a trip to the dealer.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
also remember trying to go in reverse when stuck in deep snow is a ******, ****** experience. you can't steer the truck and the rear tires will go where ever the hell they want. makes you think 4WD isn't working by how poorly the truck handles.