Raptor save by old Chevy-- No 4wheel Lock in Revrs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time, try this.

WARNING: It is very important that all wheel spin is stopped in a controlled manner. Slamming on the breaks or even abruptly lifting off the gas with the wheels spinning is the quickest way I know to break an axle!

From JP7-...make sure the damn ORM is on and the Trac Loc is completely off!

• With the trans in gear (D or R) and the transfer case in 4x4 Low (or high)
  • Take your foot off the gas and carefully stop all wheel spin
  • Press hard on the break
  • Bring up the engine RPM up to about 2000 - 2500 RPM (still mashing on the break)
  • Now slowly let off some break pressure (you should be driving with both feet) until the truck starts to pull out. Speed should be controlled by the break NOT THE GAS
  • Continue to modulate throttle and break to control wheel spin and maintain slow, steady movement
  • If there is any traction you should be able to pull right out.
  • If your are hopelessly high centered (no traction at all) call a guy with a old Chevy!
What you are doing is "tricking" the open difs into acting like all four tires have equal traction and will send equal torque to all wheels. The best way to practice this technique is to get into a ditch or other terrain that gets one front and the opposite rear tire off the ground. With the rear dif un-locked, this will simulate one tire on each axle having zero traction and should make the truck "stuck" with two tires on solid ground and other two turning in mid-air. Perform the "Throttle / Break Modulation" technique and the truck should pull it self out.

Last edited:

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
high centered is stuck !! lock or NO lock, hell you could drive a tank and get hi centered. anyone that wheels its happened too.

CrazyAL

Reaction score
Hahaahah - Yes, I was hoping you would post these pics. Man you should have gotten a better pic of the old Chevy!

This happens to everyone. I once had 2 wheel drive Tacoma pull our 79 Bronco out hole, God that was embarrasing. Granted the Tacoma was on nice hard ground, but still. This was my fualt, not the Broncos. I did NOT take pictures - haha. Thanks for sharing.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Next time, try this.

WARNING: It is very important that all wheel spin is stopped in a controlled manner. Slamming on the breaks or even abruptly lifting off the gas with the wheels spinning is the quickest way I know to break an axle!

• Bring up the engine RPM up to about 2000 - 2500 RPM (still mashing on the break)
  • Now slowly let off some break pressure (you should be driving with both feet) until the truck starts to pull out. Speed should be controlled by the break NOT THE GAS
  • Continue to modulate throttle and break to control wheel spin maintain slow, steady movement
  • If your are hopelessly high centered (no traction at all) call a guy with a old Chevy!
What you are doing is "tricking" the open difs into acting like all four tires have equal traction and will send equal torque to all wheels. The best way to practice this technique is to get into a ditch or other terrain that gets one front and the opposite rear tire off the ground. With the rear dif un-locked, this will simulate one tire on each axle having zero traction and should make the truck "stuck" with two tires on solid ground and other two turning in mid-air. Perform the "Throttle / Break Modulation" technique and the truck should pull it self out.

Good advice - but make sure the damn ORM is on and the Trac Loc is completely off!

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Fixed it and gave you the credit! Thanks:waytogo:

Lol - no credit needed - but after spending over an hour this evening working this pig in the mud - I thought I'd throw that out there.
Even with ORM and TC off - the ABS still kicks in when you're really beating on her. I actually got a trouble light because the ABS complained too much today - but it went away when I shut her off and re-started.

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The technique works great on the military Hummer, no traction controls on that bad boy! It also worked on my '09 Ranger. When I get home next week I'm going out and try it with the Raptor, maybe get some video.

OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time, try this.

From JP7-...make sure the damn ORM is on and the Trac Loc is completely off!

• Continue to modulate throttle and break to control wheel spin and maintain slow, steady movement

Good advice.. Thanks.. Im going to print this and keep it in the glove box, just in case . I was hopelessly High centered. I tried cramming branches under the wheels to get traction, but didnt help.

I tried to jack the truck up and put some rocks under the wheel, but the ************* jack that comes with the truck completely tweaked and is now worthless. Also you cant get it back in the SVT cover, unless you're a rocket scientist. .. but this is a whole different story. (I picked up a bottle jack)

again thanks for the advice...:waytogo:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Thanks YMP - I was wondering how the famous Ford jack would work, as I haven't unpacked it yet. I'll have to pick up a hydraulic one too for the road. I like the Jack-All, but there's limited places that will work on these trucks because of the body flares.