Raptor save by old Chevy-- No 4wheel Lock in Revrs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I learned this the hard way, 4 wheel lock does not engage in reverse.. I was out in the back country and high sided the truck in a snow patch.. was totally unprepared, no shovel, gloves,or jack. Only a 6 pack of beer to wallow in my sorrows... While spinning the tires I noticed that 4 wheel look would not engage while in Reverse.. WTF!!!

It was about 6 miles to walk out to find help, through the snow and ice. This old guy with an old chevy w/bald tires pulled me out.. this was an embarrassing moment for Raptor owners everywhere... Im very sorry this happened.. check the pic with the Chevy and the chain... :shocked:

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 116
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 100
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 124
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 115

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, that had to be pretty painful. Hopefully after you toasted those brews, it didn't seem quite so bad!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder why reverse would be different than any forward gears.

OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder why reverse would be different than any forward gears.

I dont know, but low 4 wheel lock in reverse did not spin the front wheels. only forward.

I need to check the owners manual.. Did anyone else ever experience this?

OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, that had to be pretty painful. Hopefully after you toasted those brews, it didn't seem quite so bad!

And the old dude had a bottle of VO. it all worked out in the end.. But my buddies talked shit for two weeks.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know, but low 4 wheel lock in reverse did not spin the front wheels. only forward.

I need to check the owners manual.. Did anyone else ever experience this?

That doesn't sound right. I've reversed in 4 low up some steep stuff and my front tires always felt engaged.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transfer case switches between 2 high, 4 high, and 4 low. The Raptor also has front hubs that engage, or maybe I should say disengage for 4 wheel hi/low.
The hubs are actuated by vacuum created by the engine. They default (no vacuum) to engage, so 4x4 still works in the event vacuum is lost.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have a problem. I got stuck going forward into some mud but just backed out with no problem.... Don't think it would have worked if the fronts weren't turning. Pretty sure I was in 4L. There is some times issue were if you don't get the front hubs to fully lock up that you will round off the locking mechanics of the hubs. If you did that in reverse then that side would be rounded making it lock up going forward but under pressure come out in reverse. I've had issues with many fords not fully engaging the hubs. Thats why many people put manual hubs in and get rid of the "automatic"

OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Ill need to take it to a place and have it fully lifted and then have them engage the 4 wheel drive. high Low forward and reverse locked un locked and see what happens..

very strange, i was in 4 wheel drive low, got stuck, pulled the switch to lock it in, put it in reverse and only the rear spun. The dash said I was locked. they spun forward in drive. I know I wouldnt have walked 6 miles...