Raptor R - Will you be buying this beast.

Raptor R in 2022, are you in?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 80 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 122 60.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
For me, no V8.

But the great thing about autos is people like what they like and many different things are cool. Me, I like sports cars an am more of a 911 guy than a hellcat guy. Nothing wrong with acceleration & 1/4 mile runs but I like going around a curve as fast as possible. In my opinion, the real strength of the Raptor is the suspension and the high speed / desert capabilities. It created the market for production trucks. Yes, the one thing I don't like about my Gen 2 is the sound but I'd rather make the trade of handling performance (driving by reduced weight & suspension capability) over the sound. From a power standpoint, the turbo V6 gets the job done with room to spare. It just sounds different.

Now, if the V8 is a twin turbo, flat crank in a lightweight aluminum block and open exhaust, I might change my tune!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I marked my answer as no because I don't believe that the v8 will be out for a long time. Even then, the reliability issues I read about in the test truck scare me. I know that is normal, but my fear is that they are trying to just make something work rather than having a ground up build/test that should have started a year or two ago. The TRX is going to have 2 solid sales years before this R model should be available.

What “reliability” issues are you referring to? The engine is already proven in the GT500. MotorTrend mentioned they heard a “rumor” of issues in test mules, but that is a completely normal part of the product development process.

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I afford one YES Will I buy one HELL NO!!! If I'm going to be spending over 100 grand for a car its not going to be a pickup truck, maybe a Ferrari , Lamborghini. This has gotten so far out of hand remember 75/80 is pushing the limits for a pickup truck, but when they start going over 100,000 grand thats a hard NO. Ill keep my 2019 forever and spend that kind of money for a Ferrari.. Take that FORD

Guithues

Reaction score
Love my 2018. Such a capable truck. Drove to the mountains last weekend, just to drive in a blizzard, camped up there three weeks ago just to go off road and mudding. It'll be 4-5 years old with 60k on the clock when these come to availability, if they really become available to the common man. If so I'll drive it. Going faster is always good, and I think folks are undervaluing the trailing arm suspension.

Will it be (much) better than the twin turbo available at that time, at what cost? That'll be the fulcrum on which the decision rests.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
For me, no V8.

But the great thing about autos is people like what they like and many different things are cool. Me, I like sports cars an am more of a 911 guy than a hellcat guy. Nothing wrong with acceleration & 1/4 mile runs but I like going around a curve as fast as possible. In my opinion, the real strength of the Raptor is the suspension and the high speed / desert capabilities. It created the market for production trucks. Yes, the one thing I don't like about my Gen 2 is the sound but I'd rather make the trade of handling performance (driving by reduced weight & suspension capability) over the sound. From a power standpoint, the turbo V6 gets the job done with room to spare. It just sounds different.

Now, if the V8 is a twin turbo, flat crank in a lightweight aluminum block and open exhaust, I might change my tune!

an FPC would be a hilariously bad choice for a heavy offroad truck.

Even the racecar versions of the gt350 were CPC.

Turbos? okay, but not ideal for a desert truck V8 either.

an FPC motor would be the least reliable option and it would make it a complete SLUG out of the hole.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO for this reason:

I love V8s and have had one in a Ford for well over a quarter century. HOWEVER, for me, I would not purchase a Raptor-R because I would prefer to have a hybrid EB 3.5 TT. The EB with the addition of the hybrid electric motor should increase HP significantly with the same going with torque. My thoughts are that the power to weight ratio would be similar to the Raptor-R with better MPG and better off-road performance due to being lighter. Although, this is pure speculation on my part. I am also assuming that it would cost less than the Raptor-R.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
NO for this reason:

I love V8s and have had one in a Ford for well over a quarter century. HOWEVER, for me, I would not purchase a Raptor-R because I would prefer to have a hybrid EB 3.5 TT. The EB with the addition of the hybrid electric motor should increase HP significantly with the same going with torque. My thoughts are that the power to weight ratio would be similar to the Raptor-R with better MPG and better off-road performance due to being lighter. Although, this is pure speculation on my part. I am also assuming that it would cost less than the Raptor-R.

The PowerBoost weighs 600lbs more than the non-hybrid; the 5.2 Predator would add 150lbs at most. The PowerBoost also restricts the fuel tank size to 30.5 gallons, so no extended range 36 gallon tank. PowerBoost is just not a good fit for this application.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strong solid maybe. Iam on my 3rd Gen 2, first one got crushed by a tree a week after it rolled off the lot. I have loved the trucks but no one has really talked much about the possibility of a version of the 7.3. Maybe short stroke it to 6.8, aluminum block, high ish compression and decent rev limit. Make it have about 550 Hp N/A. Not sure how the GT500 Engine will hold up in a truck. If there was a vehicle to have an extended warranty on this will be it with 37s and the GT500 engine.

OP
OP
R

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PowerBoost weighs 600lbs more than the non-hybrid; the 5.2 Predator would add 150lbs at most. The PowerBoost also restricts the fuel tank size to 30.5 gallons, so no extended range 36 gallon tank. PowerBoost is just not a good fit for this application.
That is the reason Ford did not already put it in the Purpose built flagship Raptor. If they were going to, it would have been there for the Gen 3 debut. Not happening guys!

Raptor R is 100% the 5.2 Predator. No question about it.