RAPTOR "R" Package coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
motor trend confirmed the V8 not able to do to what the 3.5 does in torture testing. Maybe they will go back to the design board? They weren’t even going to produce anything w/ a V8 until the forums started bubbling over w/ TRX talk lol

I’ll believe it when I see it- Id like to see Ford go toe to toe w/ Ram TRX....but not sure what the point would be. Seems like the MUCH lighter gen3 w/ more potent 3.5 will be right @ the heels of the TRX based on the results of that TFL test.

I think a hybrid would actually be more fitting - produce less heat, carry more range for offroad, way more TQ available @ literally 0 RPM, & kinda follow fords line of high tech high capability in the Raptor vs. overweight brute force from Ram

MotorTrend stated that the durability issues were a “rumor”, but even if true, that is not uncommon during product development. A 6000lb Raptor on 37” tires is a much different duty cycle than a Mustang. The Raptor has the advantage of a significantly larger front grille opening than the Mustang and has additional room for heat exchangers.

The PowerBoost Hybrid powertrain does not align with the Raptor’s mission; it adds 600lbs of weight and reduces fuel tank capacity to 30.5 gallons.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MotorTrend stated that the durability issues were a “rumor”, but even if true, that is not uncommon during product development. A 6000lb Raptor on 37” tires is a much different duty cycle than a Mustang. The Raptor has the advantage of a significantly larger front grille opening than the Mustang and has additional room for heat exchangers.

The PowerBoost Hybrid powertrain does not align with the Raptor’s mission; it adds 600lbs of weight and reduces fuel tank capacity to 30.5 gallons.

youre probably right- when it comes to “durability issues” on the 5.2 SC....not sure about the internals on it, but we know the GT was having durability issues in extreme track testing & one of the “fixes” was borrowing the forged crank from the Raptor 3.5 HO

My guess is the 5.2 SC could probably benefit from that also if not already employed (although I really tend to think the GT500 sports forged guts? Maybe not?) - maybe it’s cooking piston/rings under hard driving, heat soak, oil starvation, etc.

just makes me smile more @ what they’ve accomplished w/ the EB platform even more- and I’m totally not a “tt or bust” guy & def not a V6 guy lol

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Sounds perfect to me, exactly like a gen 1, and with the new front end looking more like a gen 1, than a gen 2, I think Ford is going back to it's original design. Now don't panic, I'm just pulling your leg, lol.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

i just need ford to build a motor that is good for banging off the rev limiter for hours at a time. is that too much to ask? :D

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what makes a Ford V8 suck?

Dating back to when they were actually using em in a lot of vehicles - Explorer, expedition, F150, mustang, crown vic, etc. Well......its quite literally not worth discussing the merits of those engines vs. their competition from Toyota, Dodge, & ESPECIALLY GM

Fast forward a decade or two, Ford themselves has limited interest/confidence in their V8 platform or they wouldn't have dropped it from pretty much everything, opted not to use it in their supercar despite having one previously, opted not to use it in their halo truck despite having one previously, opted not to put it in a SINGLE damn luxury vehicle, period, regardless of size, weight, or price tag. Why wouldn't they stick the coyote in the Expedition/Navigator? There's a reason (hint -its not because the 5.0 is "too good" for those SUVs lol)

I'm done beating this dead horse. Ford has spoken for me.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they stick the coyote in the Expedition/Navigator? There's a reason (hint -its not because the 5.0 is "too good" for those SUVs lol)
I'm done beating this dead horse. Ford has spoken for me.

Ok, the reasoning is that Ford hasn't used the current models of V8's in halo vehicles is because they believe they aren't any "good" and nothing to do with gas mileage. Well, ok then. can't fault you for having an opinion.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, the reasoning is that Ford hasn't used the current models of V8's in halo vehicles is because they believe they aren't any "good" and nothing to do with gas mileage. Well, ok then. can't fault you for having an opinion.

i mean. They could’ve thrown in some “active fuel mgmt” or “displacement on demand” nonsense like GM or Ram....

GM V8 trucks get good mileage actually

they don’t seem to have problems meeting cafe standards w/ all those V8s in their vehicle lineups

Ford just decided to go a different route. I could just as easily poke fun @ how dodge doesn’t seem to have an answer for anything OTHER than stuffing a V8 in it. Not sure what Ram/dodge would even be at this point WITHOUT their V8s lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter