RAPTOR "R" Package coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should we be so sure it’s gonna be the 5.2 SC engine for the “R”??? Since the standard Raptor uses a massaged version of current 3.5 HO EB.....& considering that a Lincoln aviator w/ a smaller 3.0 EB mated to hybrid drivetrain belts out 494hp/630tq....obviously engineered much more for luxury w/ performance secondary one would think THAT platform is capable of pushing out more power.....it isn’t outta the realm of possibility Ford employs a crazy high tech high TORQUE light weight beast w/ 3.5 hybrid platform making like 650hp/800tq - given what the aviator makes that isn’t a stretch really.

take a note outta Porsche’s book when the dropped the 918

also....& haven’t reminded y’all of this in a while.....Ford’s V8s kinda suck, if they didn’t....well they’d make more flavors & put em in more vehicles- cheaper to produce than all the boosted/hybrid stuff too. If they were at all excited about further refinement & usage of V8 engines then they’d put them in something else than the Mustang (outta nostalgia) & the F150/250 (outta necessity - but in both 1/2 ton & SD trucks the V8 is the lower end option w/ EB or turbo diesel being the preferred choice) -

you know what companies w/ a lot of emphasis & confidence in their V8 platforms do? They put those V8s in their hall vehicles & the top trims & their luxury vehicles.

what do Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac/GMC/Chevy, RAM/dodge(viper now too it sounds like), Hyundai, Toyota etc. put in their bug ticket SUVs, trucks, luxury & performance cars? They use V8s

Ford doesn’t. There’s a reason. That ain’t a knock on Ford- it’s just the path their design/engineering team has taken. Works fine for me. If I want a V8 I’ll get a GM.

Last edited:

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should we be so sure it’s gonna be the 5.2 SC engine for the “R”??? Since the standard Raptor uses a massaged version of current 3.5 HO EB.....& considering that a Lincoln aviator w/ a smaller 3.0 EB mated to hybrid drivetrain belts out 494hp/630tq....obviously engineered much more for luxury w/ performance secondary one would think THAT platform is capable of pushing out more power.....it isn’t outta the realm of possibility Ford employs a crazy high tech high TORQUE light weight beast w/ 3.5 hybrid platform making like 650hp/800tq - given what the aviator makes that isn’t a stretch really.

also....& haven’t reminded y’all of this in a while.....Ford’s V8s kinda suck, if they didn’t....well they’d make more flavors & put em in more vehicles- cheaper to produce than all the boosted/hybrid stuff too. If they were at all excited about further refinement & usage of V8 engines then they’d put them in something else than the Mustang (outta nostalgia) & the F150/250 (outta necessity - but in both 1/2 ton & SD trucks the V8 is the lower end option w/ EB or turbo diesel being the preferred choice) -

you know what companies w/ a lot of emphasis & confidence in their V8 platforms do? They put those V8s in their hall vehicles & the top trims & their luxury vehicles.

what do Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac/GMC/Chevy, RAM/dodge(viper now too it sounds like), Hyundai, Toyota etc. put in their bug ticket SUVs, trucks, luxury & performance cars? They use V8s

Ford doesn’t. There’s a reason. That ain’t a knock on Ford- it’s just the path their design/engineering team has taken. Works fine for me. If I want a V8 I’ll get a GM.

Ford has confirmed it will be a V8.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford has confirmed it will be a V8.

motor trend confirmed the V8 not able to do to what the 3.5 does in torture testing. Maybe they will go back to the design board? They weren’t even going to produce anything w/ a V8 until the forums started bubbling over w/ TRX talk lol

I’ll believe it when I see it- Id like to see Ford go toe to toe w/ Ram TRX....but not sure what the point would be. Seems like the MUCH lighter gen3 w/ more potent 3.5 will be right @ the heels of the TRX based on the results of that TFL test.

I think a hybrid would actually be more fitting - produce less heat, carry more range for offroad, way more TQ available @ literally 0 RPM, & kinda follow fords line of high tech high capability in the Raptor vs. overweight brute force from Ram

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score

If they put anything in the R besides a V8, theres gonna be a big problem. People have been waiting for the V8 since the end of the GEN1 truck. Anything less than a V8 will be a failure. Doesnt matter how much power a V6 or some hybrid BS makes. Your only competitor put a big V8 in theirs. Ford will never hear the end of it if they dont.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they put anything in the R besides a V8, theres gonna be a big problem. People have been waiting for the V8 since the end of the GEN1 truck. Anything less than a V8 will be a failure. Doesnt matter how much power a V6 or some hybrid BS makes. Your only competitor put a big V8 in theirs. Ford will never hear the end of it if they dont.

I think the only think you can say fur sure is that the Raptor R will be Ford's Response. If the TRX is selling well, that Ford needs to respond with a V8. If it does not, if the economy and gas prices are heading in the direction it looks like it's heading, then it would make more sense for Ford to come out with a hybrid EB that has enough power and lower weight to match the TRX with better fuel economy. That also depends a lot on how well the F150 powerboost is doing.

I think it's worth mentioning that a lot of love for the V8 has to do with the exhaust note, and Ford has attempt to address that. All those clamoring for a V8 may feel like they don't need it quite as much after the hear the exhaust. The general public hasn't gotten a chance to hear it in person yet.

It makes a lot of sense for Ford to take more of a wait and see approach. That said, there probably isn't enough time for that.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It makes a lot of sense for Ford to take more of a wait and see approach. That said, there probably isn't enough time for that.

This whole intro seems really rushed to me. Like the marketing guys got caught with their pants down and they're now in a panic. It's not a good look.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This whole intro seems really rushed to me. Like the marketing guys got caught with their pants down and they're now in a panic. It's not a good look.

Kinda felt a bit like an experiment too. By that I mean that instead of Ford putting together a big video production, they let the youtubers and mags do it for them. Didn't work that well. In fact, saw a couple different videos, and none of the press seemed all the excited for the most part.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that is a very stupid logic