RAPTOR "R" Package coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, it's true, there will be a v8 Raptor again, but not for another 2 years possibly. Ford could change its mind by then, who knows for sure.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, it's true, there will be a v8 Raptor again, but not for another 2 years possibly. Ford could change its mind by then, who knows for sure.

If the TRX is a flash in the pan and gets canned, I could see it not happening. If gas goes above $5/gal, I could see it not happening. If the economy goes into the toilet, I could see it not happening. If CAFE laws are radically tightened, I could see it not happening. Two years is forever.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the TRX is a flash in the pan and gets canned, I could see it not happening. If gas goes above $5/gal, I could see it not happening. If the economy goes into the toilet, I could see it not happening. If CAFE laws are radically tightened, I could see it not happening. Two years is forever.
Yes, we got promised a Raptor R almost 12 years ago and it never happened. I don't understand the logic of Ford putting out a v8 when they are trying to get rid of all of them. If the R is built, I'm hoping for some sort of hybrid monster! I wish for a v8, but I won't believe it until I see it. I can't see gas going up too much until they get covid under control, less planes are flying, people are pinching their wallets already, if gasoline goes up, it will push more consumers to electric. The next year is going to be dire still, no rush to produce the R.

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TRX is a flash in the pan, but that does not change the fact the Raptor R will be out next season.

MyRaptorLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, we got promised a Raptor R almost 12 years ago and it never happened. I don't understand the logic of Ford putting out a v8 when they are trying to get rid of all of them. If the R is built, I'm hoping for some sort of hybrid monster! I wish for a v8, but I won't believe it until I see it. I can't see gas going up too much until they get covid under control, less planes are flying, people are pinching their wallets already, if gasoline goes up, it will push more consumers to electric. The next year is going to be dire still, no rush to produce the R.

Bingo. Here however is the reason to put a V8 Raptor out. Build them, then make the V8 bros pay a massive tax on them. Meaning, price them to the point that its almost stupid for the upgrade but not too high to turn even the bro-est bro away from buying one. I mean, the engine alone will probably be a 20K upgrade in price. So thats near 100 at that point. Before ADM and sales tax.

So, in the end, the V8 bros will be paying..what..25-35 plus extra for what? **** poor gas mileage, heavier truck, probably a second quicker 0-60 and not much if any difference off road. Especially nothing that say, 10K or so added to a Gen 2 or 3 wouldn't close any gap with. Sure maybe the power comes in a bit better or something, but thats not worth 40K. So in the end, that 40K or so will be getting you this. A slightly faster truck, and the V8 sound.

All I have to say is...lol.

ibismojo

Reaction score
Hopefully Ford puts in the megazilla instead of the s/c 5.2: https://www.thedrive.com/news/37965...e-engine-based-on-the-7-3l-godzilla-is-coming

You're asking the 5.2 to punch out as much power but carry around an extra 1600-1800 lbs over it's original design. That things gonna heat soak so fast.

Fuel economy is gonna be crap either way unless you add some type of hybrid system....might as well go for durability with a bigger block. If they want to match the TRX's power-to-weight of 9.04 lbs/hp, the simplest way would be to lose weight.....one way they could do this is by casting an aluminum block.

An NA 600+ hp Raptor R that's slightly heavier than the regular Raptor? I'll take that any day over the Ram.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Ford puts in the megazilla instead of the s/c 5.2: https://www.thedrive.com/news/37965...e-engine-based-on-the-7-3l-godzilla-is-coming

You're asking the 5.2 to punch out as much power but carry around an extra 1600-1800 lbs over it's original design. That things gonna heat soak so fast.

Fuel economy is gonna be crap either way unless you add some type of hybrid system....might as well go for durability with a bigger block. If they want to match the TRX's power-to-weight of 9.04 lbs/hp, the simplest way would be to lose weight.....one way they could do this is by casting an aluminum block.

An NA 600+ hp Raptor R that's slightly heavier than the regular Raptor? I'll take that any day over the Ram.

You are probably right with what you are thinking. The Motor Trend article specifically called out that Ford was having significant reliability issues with whatever v8 they have in the test mule. Further, we actually heard issues on one of the v8 trucks in a recent test mule video. It's a long time between now and when the v8 might be available - hope they get those bugs worked out.
But, I do agree that I don't think the 5.2 gt500 engine is the answer. I would be more for a 7.3 supercharged. One thing we do not know is the earlier talk about this mysterious new 6.8 v8. I have not read anything more about that.