Raptor or Tremor... Reliability, Longevity, Depreciation and Fun Factor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally.....I wouldn’t own a HD truck unless it was a diesel....for a lot of reasons, resale being #1, but also like- if I’m going to have all the “negatives” of owning a huge heavy duty truck (mpg/Parking/cost/ride comfort etc) I may as well be getting all the potential positives too- long term durability on the drivetrain, better mpg, crazy TQ & ability to tow whatever ya want etc AND the resale premium the diesel carries

I test drove the Tremor & found the 7.3 gasser to be just adequate relative to coming from a Raptor, & it would feel sluggish if towing a decent load or hauling w/ the whole family & bed loaded up

on the other hand besides the $10k markup (which ultimately means little to me since again that markup carries over to the resale side) the 6.7 diesel trucks are simply.....overkill, for me anyhow

Unladen, w/ even moderate throttle it wants to spin the rear tires all the time- which is a real problem if you live in a wet climate or snowy one where it isn’t always completely snow covered- the SD trucks don’t have a 4A option, it’s either 2WD or 4HI & that means you gotta be careful w/ it in rainy conditions unladen

I only tow 3-5k lbs myself- sometimes utility trailer or pair of waverunners, I’ll load up the Raptor bed w/ 7-800 lbs of stone (w/ a moving blanket protecting bed lol) &fill it to the brim w/ pallets for a fire pit etc

does the job fine for me- a diesel tremor would be cool but is way overkill

a gas one would leave me w/ buyers remorse, either “should’ve kept my raptor” or “wish I got the diesel”

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the switch after experiencing a catastrophic engine failure in my Raptor. If that had not happened then I wouldn't have made the switch. Having said that - I LOVE the 6.7 and I don't miss my Raptor as much as I thought I would. The massive turbo diesel makes up for the loss in the "fun factor" department. But it definitely takes some getting used to when you jump out of a Raptor and get into an F250. I can't drive it anywhere near as aggressive and it really makes you realize how nimble the Raptor is. I would say if you don't need an HD truck then don't do it. Raptor is the ultimate DD in my opinion. I believe my situation was an outlier and was also towing in -10 degree temps.

Big factor for me switching is I drive a lot and also tow a lot - and when I am towing it is usually 250-550 miles each direction with around 6000lbs behind the truck. Which proved to be asking a little much from the Raptor unfortunately, it was hands down my favorite vehicle ever owned. I just didn't trust hooking a trailer up again and driving 5-8 hours away from home. Ford took care of me and it's the reason I bought another one.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know two brothers that both had gen 2 raptors. One sold the raptor for a diesel tremor early last year. Both love the tremor, but both enjoy driving the raptor as well (they share cars whenever they want to drive something the other has). They've never took either of them off-road. I've driven both and they are both fantastic.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know there are several Raptor vs. Tremor threads, and I've read them all (I think). However, I'm still unsure if I should, or want to make the jump from my 2020 Raptor to a Tremor.

I have a 2020 Raptor 802A, and it's an awesome truck, but its value (>$70k) is crazy with the current market, and has me considering making the switch. I drive 35 miles each way to work (20-25k miles/year), and sometimes idle for 30 to 45 minutes. The most that I will ever tow (if or when I get a boat) would be 5,000-6,000 lbs. and usually only for ~10 miles each way to the boat ramp. I don't go off road much, but appreciate the off-road performance and look of a Raptor. And, I really love the on-road performance of my Goosetune, and the overall comfort/ride.

If I do make the switch to a Tremor, I would definitely go with a Carli Suspension 4.5" pintop system, 38s and 6.7 Powerstroke.

I have concerns with my Raptor's overall reliability (cam phasers), longevity, and depreciation with the Gen. 3 around the corner. However, I've read some reliability (emissions) and longevity issues with the 6.7 Powerstroke as well.

And then there is the fun factor... my Raptor is fun, even on the street. With a tune and 4x4, I can hang and beat many sports cars from light to light. How will the 6.7 Powerstroke compare? I assume not as fun and definitely not as fast.

I already replied to your same thread in the Tremor Forum, as "many" Tremor owners are also Raptor owners or former Raptor owners. :cool:

The summary is the Raptor is way more "fun" to drive on and off road, but you buy the SD Tremor if you need to tow more than 5-6000 lbs because the Raptor is not up to the task. On the other hand, a diesel Tremor with the 4.5" Carli and 38s will have nowhere near the capabilities of a Raptor off road. At 8000+ lbs and 1.5 feet longer, the Tremor is a porker on the trails.

As to the point of buying the Tremor when doing a Carli suspension and 37s, there were many reasons I did it. The cost factor is minimal, as the final price was less than $1400 between a similarly equipped F350 FX4 and the F250 Diesel Tremor I bought. (Tremor F250 is identical to the F350 FX4 leaf spring and rear axle-wise) You get the additional drive modes, the color matching fender lips, the smaller air dam and the awesome Tremor stickers on the back. Heck, we pay more for the Raptor stickers by themselves.

The Tremor with Carli 2.5" and 37s makes my Gen2 on 37s look small by comparison. Camper in the background is 7000 lbs with a 1000 lb TW and the Raptor was not up to towing it...

Tremor-Raptor2.jpeg

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dunno. If I didn’t tow though, I’d consider the 7.3. Save 10 grand and eliminate all the hassle of a modern diesel.

The 7.3 is 2K compared to the diesel at 10K, so you only save 8K... Plus, if you are only buying it to tow, like I did, why would you not spend the extra money for the diesel? If I was buying a Tremor to replace my Raptor and wanted the cool sounding Godzilla V8, I would have saved the 8K. But, more likely I would have not bothered to buy one at all!

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine not having the Powerstroke in my F250, that's the whole reason I went with the Ford. The 7.3 is nice, but the Powerstroke is just better for towing and even highway driving IMO.

TCR 223

Reaction score
I know there are several Raptor vs. Tremor threads, and I've read them all (I think). However, I'm still unsure if I should, or want to make the jump from my 2020 Raptor to a Tremor.

I have a 2020 Raptor 802A, and it's an awesome truck, but its value (>$70k) is crazy with the current market, and has me considering making the switch. I drive 35 miles each way to work (20-25k miles/year), and sometimes idle for 30 to 45 minutes. The most that I will ever tow (if or when I get a boat) would be 5,000-6,000 lbs. and usually only for ~10 miles each way to the boat ramp. I don't go off road much, but appreciate the off-road performance and look of a Raptor. And, I really love the on-road performance of my Goosetune, and the overall comfort/ride.

If I do make the switch to a Tremor, I would definitely go with a Carli Suspension 4.5" pintop system, 38s and 6.7 Powerstroke.

I have concerns with my Raptor's overall reliability (cam phasers), longevity, and depreciation with the Gen. 3 around the corner. However, I've read some reliability (emissions) and longevity issues with the 6.7 Powerstroke as well.

And then there is the fun factor... my Raptor is fun, even on the street. With a tune and 4x4, I can hang and beat many sports cars from light to light. How will the 6.7 Powerstroke compare? I assume not as fun and definitely not as fast.
what about the F-150 Tremor. better daily then both the Raptor and Super Duty Tremor. deck that out with a level kit, shocks and 0 offset wheels and you are good to go. just throwing that out there.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what about the F-150 Tremor. better daily then both the Raptor and Super Duty Tremor. deck that out with a level kit, shocks and 0 offset wheels and you are good to go. just throwing that out there.

For someone who owns so many Fords and still recommends them to others, your signature comment is a little unusual... :confused: