Raptor or Tremor... Reliability, Longevity, Depreciation and Fun Factor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
I know there are several Raptor vs. Tremor threads, and I've read them all (I think). However, I'm still unsure if I should, or want to make the jump from my 2020 Raptor to a Tremor.

I have a 2020 Raptor 802A, and it's an awesome truck, but its value (>$70k) is crazy with the current market, and has me considering making the switch. I drive 35 miles each way to work (20-25k miles/year), and sometimes idle for 30 to 45 minutes. The most that I will ever tow (if or when I get a boat) would be 5,000-6,000 lbs. and usually only for ~10 miles each way to the boat ramp. I don't go off road much, but appreciate the off-road performance and look of a Raptor. And, I really love the on-road performance of my Goosetune, and the overall comfort/ride.

If I do make the switch to a Tremor, I would definitely go with a Carli Suspension 4.5" pintop system, 38s and 6.7 Powerstroke.

I have concerns with my Raptor's overall reliability (cam phasers), longevity, and depreciation with the Gen. 3 around the corner. However, I've read some reliability (emissions) and longevity issues with the 6.7 Powerstroke as well.

And then there is the fun factor... my Raptor is fun, even on the street. With a tune and 4x4, I can hang and beat many sports cars from light to light. How will the 6.7 Powerstroke compare? I assume not as fun and definitely not as fast.

970rap

Reaction score
Personally, if I didn't need it for towing or payload I would never ever consider a Tremor over a Raptor, even given the other things you mentioned. However, I have never driven one and am not the target market in the least.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Raptor 802A, and it's an awesome truck, but its value (>$70k) is crazy with the current market, and has me considering making the switch.

Everything is crazy right now. Can you switch into a Tremor at a discount? Like invoice? By the time you add the Carli and 38s, it might cost you more. And there are transaction costs, tags at a minimum, maybe sales tax depending on your state. Time, trouble, and hassle as well. If it's only about the money, sell the Raptor and buy a used Prius with 150k miles on the clock ... the thing to realize is that the value of your truck is not increasing. It's decreasing, just like normal. What's happening is that the value of the dollar is falling faster than the value of used cars. Looked at houses lately? A guy in the bay area of Cali was saying that two houses in his neighborhood just sold for $500k over asking. And these were little 2300sf things that only listed around $2.2M.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personal choice, but I wouldn’t dream of doing it. I’d get rid of the things I have to tow before trading it in

And yes, prices are crazy. My truck is currently worth MORE than what I paid for it new.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If commuting is your concern I don’t see a Tremor on 38’s (?) being your answer. Raptor is a better DD unless you’ve done something like Zombiekiller to make it 14” wider than stock. Drive a Tremor, then imagine the turning being 10% worse after you lift and make it wider. If I was getting a diesel it would be a Limited long bed and leave it as a tow rig that’s comfortable on the highway with a RZR or some side by side for my “fun”. But Raptor is a happy medium for me. I commute 20-30 miles a day.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are not towing twice a week do not do it you will regret it. Been there and done that. Also do not worry about depreciation. You will not be able to buy a gen3 at msrp for at least a year ( DEALERS WILL HAVE A 10K ADM ) remember what happened when the gen 2 came out.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I know there are several Raptor vs. Tremor threads, and I've read them all (I think). However, I'm still unsure if I should, or want to make the jump from my 2020 Raptor to a Tremor.

I have a 2020 Raptor 802A, and it's an awesome truck, but its value (>$70k) is crazy with the current market, and has me considering making the switch. I drive 35 miles each way to work (20-25k miles/year), and sometimes idle for 30 to 45 minutes. The most that I will ever tow (if or when I get a boat) would be 5,000-6,000 lbs. and usually only for ~10 miles each way to the boat ramp. I don't go off road much, but appreciate the off-road performance and look of a Raptor. And, I really love the on-road performance of my Goosetune, and the overall comfort/ride.

If I do make the switch to a Tremor, I would definitely go with a Carli Suspension 4.5" pintop system, 38s and 6.7 Powerstroke.

I have concerns with my Raptor's overall reliability (cam phasers), longevity, and depreciation with the Gen. 3 around the corner. However, I've read some reliability (emissions) and longevity issues with the 6.7 Powerstroke as well.

And then there is the fun factor... my Raptor is fun, even on the street. With a tune and 4x4, I can hang and beat many sports cars from light to light. How will the 6.7 Powerstroke compare? I assume not as fun and definitely not as fast.

Hmm, do you think what you MIGHT spend on POSSIBLE Raptor repairs would be equal to or less than what all this is gonna cost...

And I don't know where you're coming up with depreciation once the gen 3 comes out. Did the gen 1 suddenly go in the gutter when the gen 2 came out. It actually went up I believe.

You need to up your rationalizing game. If you want the Tremor, get the Tremor. It will never make sense on paper though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter