Raptor is terrible!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
having cam phaser replaced twice and a cam solenoid is not a ridiculous complaint. That is weeks in the shop.
@FordTechOne has explained this so many times, his fingers have callouses that have callouses. The phasers with the ‘problem’ fail to park, and on a cold soak start, the engine sounds like marbles in a can. Despite the horrifying sounds, it’s relatively benign. The diagnostic / repair procedure has been posted on FRF several times, and if identified, the stealership is instructed to return the vehicle to the owner, order the parts and schedule the repair when the parts come in.

There’s zero chance Ford would permit the vehicle to be returned if there was the possibility of actual engine damage.

Go on pretending it is the world's greatest truck.

It kind of is the world’s greatest truck.

To me, the transmission wonders and I notice it more than other autos. Never quite in the right gear or very smooth. Maybe its programming. Reminds of the early smg transmission, just a bit clunky for an auto. Put in a manual option and we would all be happy!

If you’re talking about the Raptor’s dreaded ’normal’ mode, you’re right. The ’normal’ on the Raptor best aligns with ‘eco’ mode on the standard F150. Use Sport mode, or you could get a pedal commander which @FordTechOne and a few others hold in relatively low esteem, but I’ve been running one since ’17. It makes normal mode tolerable and more responsive. It’s adjustable and you can’t go insane with it, which some folks try to do. I use only the lower settings to basically make throttle input linear or close to it and nothing more.

Go walk around a Ford dealership, all the trucks have dings everywhere. Even brand new, the panels have a slightly wavy appearance

I’ve never noticed this at multiple stealerships. I’ve noticed wavy panels, yes, but that’s not new. Hell, my ’01 Lightning had wavy door panels. Some may be worse than others, sure.

You have a hell of a punch list of faults. Some of them are explainable.
Phasers - initially, Ford had repair parts that weren’t successful at permanently fixing the issue. The latest revision of parts does.

Moonroof: Mine broke and internet search engines are littered with F series twin panel moonroof repair issues. Mostly it’s sticking seals which cause the opening mechanism to break. While it’s relatively easy to do this when the seals stick and it’s a pricey fix, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out something @FordTechOne pointed out to me - you can wheel your @$$ off in the truck and that moon roof won’t break and it will still function. But, you do need to lube the seals with Ford’s expensive Krytox grease. Workaround by opening to vent first every time, then close, then move glass to the rear.

The radio and sync issues are gremlins for sure. I’ve had some weird sync and radio stuff. once in a while, I start up and sirius is updating - can’t change source, can’t change channel until it’s done. Sometimes the channel advance goes backwards instead of forward. Especially if we’re 1) stuck in traffic and 2) it’s a song I hate. Once I got a black screen and it wouldn’t go away until I shut down and let it sit overnight. never happened again. Like Tony Soprano said: “Waddayagonnado”?

It definitely sucks when you have the problems and your list is long. A bad stealership service department can definitely amplify the frustration. Find a new one if this is such an ongoing thing.

Good luck.

OP
OP
H

hotcorner17

Reaction score
List of threads with same problems others have had since I lack credibility, lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hotcorner17

Reaction score
@FordTechOne has explained this so many times, his fingers have callouses that have callouses. The phasers with the ‘problem’ fail to park, and on a cold soak start, the engine sounds like marbles in a can. Despite the horrifying sounds, it’s relatively benign. The diagnostic / repair procedure has been posted on FRF several times, and if identified, the stealership is instructed to return the vehicle to the owner, order the parts and schedule the repair when the parts come in.

There’s zero chance Ford would permit the vehicle to be returned if there was the possibility of actual engine damage.

It kind of is the world’s greatest truck.

If you’re talking about the Raptor’s dreaded ’normal’ mode, you’re right. The ’normal’ on the Raptor best aligns with ‘eco’ mode on the standard F150. Use Sport mode, or you could get a pedal commander which @FordTechOne and a few others hold in relatively low esteem, but I’ve been running one since ’17. It makes normal mode tolerable and more responsive. It’s adjustable and you can’t go insane with it, which some folks try to do. I use only the lower settings to basically make throttle input linear or close to it and nothing more.

I’ve never noticed this at multiple stealerships. I’ve noticed wavy panels, yes, but that’s not new. Hell, my ’01 Lightning had wavy door panels. Some may be worse than others, sure.

You have a hell of a punch list of faults. Some of them are explainable.
Phasers - initially, Ford had repair parts that weren’t successful at permanently fixing the issue. The latest revision of parts does.

Moonroof: Mine broke and internet search engines are littered with F series twin panel moonroof repair issues. Mostly it’s sticking seals which cause the opening mechanism to break. While it’s relatively easy to do this when the seals stick and it’s a pricey fix, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out something @FordTechOne pointed out to me - you can wheel your @$$ off in the truck and that moon roof won’t break and it will still function. But, you do need to lube the seals with Ford’s expensive Krytox grease. Workaround by opening to vent first every time, then close, then move glass to the rear.

The radio and sync issues are gremlins for sure. I’ve had some weird sync and radio stuff. once in a while, I start up and sirius is updating - can’t change source, can’t change channel until it’s done. Sometimes the channel advance goes backwards instead of forward. Especially if we’re 1) stuck in traffic and 2) it’s a song I hate. Once I got a black screen and it wouldn’t go away until I shut down and let it sit overnight. never happened again. Like Tony Soprano said: “Waddayagonnado”?

It definitely sucks when you have the problems and your list is long. A bad stealership service department can definitely amplify the frustration. Find a new one if this is such an ongoing thing.

Good luck.
Thanks. Appreciate the kind post and not implying I am some troll making crap up. I am a glutton for punishment and will probably just get a ‘21. Only thing I will say is whatever has happened to my cam phasers wasnt benign both times. Check engine light, limp mode and dealer said timing chain stretched/jumped timing. Again not claiming I am a mechanic so who knows what is true but was not benign just rattle i was complaining about. I didn’t get to keep my truck while waiting for parts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, so if that’s the case, it wasn’t the cam phaser ( failure to park correctly ) issue, it was something else, and based on your explanation, probably misdiagnosed.

You could snatch/pull a 747 with an engine timing chain, they’re that strong, so if you had one stretched, something was definitely wrong. Or it wasn’t stretched and they just “threw parts at the repair”.

Either way, it’s a frustrating list of problems. You’ll end up getting every issue resolved and decide to get rid of it :-/ Next owner will be on here crowing about how great it is. Kind of how it works out sometimes.

I’d seriously look for another service dept.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. Appreciate the kind post and not implying I am some troll making crap up. I am a glutton for punishment and will probably just get a ‘21. Only thing I will say is whatever has happened to my cam phasers wasnt benign both times. Check engine light, limp mode and dealer said timing chain stretched/jumped timing. Again not claiming I am a mechanic so who knows what is true but was not benign just rattle i was complaining about. I didn’t get to keep my truck while waiting for parts.
I think your stealership misdiagnosed your symptoms which is unfortunate, that has appeared on this site a few times. There are good mechanics out there and then there are people that show up to work and drink coffee all day, you didn't get a good mechanic, period. I've experienced the same scenario over the years, bad service, I go elsewhere, I don't go back for the same punishment. Good luck with your '21, don't buy it at your current dealer, my advice.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh look, more insults. Can you post my quote where i said ford aluminum is week? No, because all i said is aluminum is weaker than steel. It is. Then the alloy discussion started.
You insinuated that the Ford aluminum was weak . And then went on a rant how steel is strong than aluminum . Implying the Ford aluminum is weak versus the Ford Steel. Which is dead wrong .

Last edited: