Raptor is terrible!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotcorner17

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe this is a bit stirring the pot but I honestly think Ford has made a hunk of junk. Issues since purchased new '18:
1. Cam phaser repair #1
2. Cam phaser solenoid replacement
3. Cam phaser repair #2
4. Sunroof replacement
5. Rear door handle falling off
6. Front interior door panel loose
7. Gray paint trim chipping everywhere. Also generally poor quality/coverage trim paint on interior
8. Rear camera failure
9. Aluminum body is basically a soda can. Dont sneeze on it or it dents. Poor quality exterior paint.
10. Terrible interior insulation. Loud road noise in comparison to Trx
11. Horrible rear a/c circulation. Rear passengers always complain
12. The transmission is a joke.
13. Horn went out.
14. Noisy front hub, replaced
15. Solenoid sensor failure
16. Door weather stripping falling off
17. Glove box doesn't close properly
18. Rear seatbelt mechanism failure, replaced
19. Stupid but annoying, the radio changes sources randomly. So sometimes when I start it will be on am or fm even though I always leave it on xm
20. Infotainment unit has frozen about 2 dozen times when driving. Have to do the force restart.
21. One more. The dealership experience.

At least they command a premium on the used market!

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s a lot of issues. I have an 18 and couldn’t be happier. Never had an issue in almost 4 years now except a pedal commander that went bad. No mods except some lights. I drive it pretty aggressively on dirt and highway and she performs beautifully. Too bad you had a bad experience, these are great trucks.

OP
OP
H

hotcorner17

Reaction score
Luck of the draw I suppose. What's really crazy is the wife drives Rovers and they have been rock solid in comparison despite their reputation.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Luck of the draw I suppose. What's really crazy is the wife drives Rovers and they have been rock solid in comparison despite their reputation.
Sounds like you got a bad one. Only draw back with going for a gen 1 (can't believe I'm saying this as I'm very pro Gen 1) is the gas mileage is a bit worse and the tech is lacking. If you and your wife are not Latte drinkers than you could handle a Gen 1 probably.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think luck of the draw says it all, unfortunately. You just never know with this stuff. I still have a '98 Volvo V70-R I bought new. After a few years it got a lot of raps for below average reliability from Consumer Reports, and other rating places. I still have it, I had to have the stereo head unit replaced under warranty in the first year, other than that it's been perfect. That's even with me having autocrossed it heavily for 6 years.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think luck of the draw says it all, unfortunately. You just never know with this stuff. I still have a '98 Volvo V70-R I bought new. After a few years it got a lot of raps for below average reliability from Consumer Reports, and other rating places. I still have it, I had to have the stereo head unit replaced under warranty in the first year, other than that it's been perfect. That's even with me having autocrossed it heavily for 6 years.
You're not allowed to talk all high and mighty about your Volvo and not include a pic. Are you new around here?