Raptor faring in the Baja 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, please forgive me for being a newb with dumb questions. I love my Raptor and feel (in my opinion) it's the best truck to get, even though mine is a pavement queen.

I've looked on Youtube and Googled "Ford Raptor Baja 1000" and the majority of the searches lead to either the gen 2 stock Raptor being entered into the Baja 1000 or back in 2014, the Tundra emphatically won the Baja 1000 while the Raptor didn't even finish?

Here's my question. Is the gap between the Raptor and other production trucks (say Tundra) not as significant as advertised?

Has the Raptor truly fared better hands down against others?

Thanks

David

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
The Baja Raptor isn't equivalent to the street models. That is even less so with the Tundra. There's mods that have been done to each. On the street, there is a solid gap between the offroad capabilities of the Tundra and Raptor. The Raptor is hands down better.

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Baja Raptor isn't equivalent to the street models. That is even less so with the Tundra. There's mods that have been done to each. On the street, there is a solid gap between the offroad capabilities of the Tundra and Raptor. The Raptor is hands down better.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. How come the Baja Raptor didn't fare well against the Modded Tundra? It sounds a bit underwhelming and surprising that on a "modded" playing field the Tundra won.

David

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. How come the Baja Raptor didn't fare well against the Modded Tundra? It sounds a bit underwhelming and surprising that on a "modded" playing field the Tundra won.

David

Because Toyota likes to go a little heavier on the modding is my guess. I haven't looked up the specs on the Tundra in question, but going off their "stock" entry this year, it had a lot of extra goodies on it that even the Raptor wasn't running.

Best comparison for the question at hand is going to be Stock vs. Stock right off the dealer lot. Once mods are factored in, it's really anyone's game. We've just got a head start from the factory in that game basically.

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because Toyota likes to go a little heavier on the modding is my guess. I haven't looked up the specs on the Tundra in question, but going off their "stock" entry this year, it had a lot of extra goodies on it that even the Raptor wasn't running.

Best comparison for the question at hand is going to be Stock vs. Stock right off the dealer lot. Once mods are factored in, it's really anyone's game. We've just got a head start from the factory in that game basically.

Has there ever been a desert race set up for Stock production trucks? or did I kinda just answered my own question because there has not been a stock production truck to rival the Raptor, therefore the race wasn't possible? lol

David

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CR32 SUPERCHARGERS AND TURBOCHARGERS

This class is restricted to normally aspirated.

How did 2017 Raptor run in this class?