Long Trip in the Raptor Pulling an RV Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently went up to Amarillo from San Antonio twice in the last month due to my mom having a medical emergency and then unfortunately passing away. I'm okay with it, we had this discussion several times over the years and I did everything she wanted even though she was non-responsive most of the time. I sat with her for two weeks until my brother could make the trip.

I took a brief break to run back to San Antonio get some things in order and planned to return a week later. My brother called me early the next morning after I got home, said mom asked for me and she wasn't doing well.

I got tired of spending a $1000 bucks a week on a suitable hotel. and my brother could not afford a room. I hopped in the Raptor and went to the storage lot to get my trailer. A 2019 Salem Platinum 179DBK.

The Raptor did not like pulling the trailer at highway speeds at first even though I had the tow/haul engaged. After about 100 miles, The Raptor seemed to pause and then it settled into what I would call a groove. It then pulled the trailer easier and settled into a steady 75mph with no trouble.

On the trip back, I kept my speed at 75mph and the Raptor just chugged along with no problems even though I had some heavy cross winds up in the panhandle down until around San Angelo. I averaged 9.6mpg there and back. Overall it was a pretty comfortable ride and I was more worried about the trailer blowing a tire than the Raptor leaving me stranded.20230102_145758.jpg 20230102_145819.jpg

Last edited:

Squad21

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, good to hear that it went well pulling the trailer.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, Moms are one of the hardest to lose! Glad the trip towing went well for you and that was pretty good MPG for pulling the trailer.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sympathies and condolences.
And, thanks for telling of the experience.
Good to know what is possible.

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated. I bought this trailer because it gave me some leeway with the rated towing capacity of the Raptor. It has a hitch weight of 465lbs, 3219lbs empty, and max 4,865lbs fully loaded. I don't have much in the trailer other than a few dishes and some camping supplies. I didn't fill up the holding tank until after I arrived in Amarillo. When I hooked up the trailer, the rear end of the Raptor only sank down about 3".

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have taken a photo of the dash readout the day I returned to San Antonio. The mileage has increased a tad bit at 9.9mpg after a few days. 20230518_101126.jpg

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My condolences and can totally relate having lost my Mom,Dad and little Brother all within 6 months, plus fighting the big C. Our Raptor performed amazingly during this period with numerous trips back and forth to Houston pulling our “home away from home” Jayco Jayfeather 23RD. The key I found was the load distribution hitch by Wolf with built in sway bar. Keeping the truck at 0 incidence really helps as does the sway bar in stiff TX crosswinds.

IMG-5097.jpg

Thanks for posting,,yes despite the rumors Raptors tow great and I’ve even seen several in RV parks pulling 5th wheels using rear air leveling shocks.
Amazing machine!
V/R
Smokey

Wraith SRT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow almost every other weekend with mine...just took our 1st trip in our new 2023 Grand Design 23LDE - 6990 max GVW, had no issues through the lower Ozarks...ran @ 72 most of the time, but since the narrow roads, abundance of twisties and constant elevation changes, 55'ish on the "back roads" - pulled like a dream. Running an Equalizer 2. One factor, and I'm going to say this not to change what you have, but towing with almost 20" of tire sidewall (running 17's or 18's " wheels & 35's) would make for a "squishy" ill-handling ride.PXL_20230521_175250209.jpgPXL_20230519_170932846.jpg

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had considered a weight distribution hitch when I got the trailer, but after experiencing the heavy cross winds in the Panhandle and West Texas, I didn't really feel that the trailer was out of control with just the regular hitch. I am still considering one though but I am used to towing trailers in heavy winds from growing up in that area. I always make sure I keep the center of balance low in the trailer and not go too fast. I've towed some heavier stuff with less powerful trucks too. If I need to keep the center of balance low, I could always fill up the water tank.