Raceline Bumper Frame Mod Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that. Anything's possible but saying it's because of offroading because of a bumper doesn't make much sense to me. They can always say it's because of offroading - they don't need a bumper to indicate that.

Nope sure dont need a bumper for that but knowing Ford like I do it surely could happen. You get the point

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Haha quit spreading propaganda Hock. If anyone is that worried about it just sit down with your service manager and ask him how he feels about it. It's a lot easier to get the answer you want to hear when you're being proactive instead of reactive

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha quit spreading propaganda Hock. If anyone is that worried about it just sit down with your service manager and ask him how he feels about it. It's a lot easier to get the answer you want to hear when you're being proactive instead of reactive

Still, service manager won't know the impact of cutting the frame...if there is a slight chance that it could effect the airbags or some other critical sensor, I'll pass.

Last edited:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The airbag sensors are located behind the grille. So I don't see how cutting the frame horns could affect the airbags?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thats like sitting down with the local LEO and asking them what is a good time to sell some drugs... Oh Im not going to sell any I just want to be sure what the best time is honest

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
assumptions:

1) airbags are deployed by accelerometers, impact (rapid decel) is what deploys the airbags.

2) vehicles nowadays have 5mph bumpers and the front portion of the frame is a 'crumple zone'

3) airbags are set to deploy at xx speed (it's like 20mph and above or something like that) combined with rapid decel.

conclusion:

in a front end collision, the 'hit' will feel harder because the loss/degradation of the first crumple zone - it is my opinion that this won't have any impact on airbag deployment because a hit that was hard enough to crumple the first zone is obviously hard enough to deploy the bags.

My .02, YMMV

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

assumptions:

1) airbags are deployed by accelerometers, impact (rapid decel) is what deploys the airbags.

2) vehicles nowadays have 5mph bumpers and the front portion of the frame is a 'crumple zone'

3) airbags are set to deploy at xx speed (it's like 20mph and above or something like that) combined with rapid decel.

conclusion:

in a front end collision, the 'hit' will feel harder because the loss/degradation of the first crumple zone - it is my opinion that this won't have any impact on airbag deployment because a hit that was hard enough to crumple the first zone is obviously hard enough to deploy the bags.

My .02, YMMV

Honestly, it makes sense...still apprehensive to chop away.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well we haven't actually tested the front bumper in a front end collision so I cant say if it will, or will not have any effect on the airbags. I know from many years of training with Audi that Warsurfer is right, and accelerometers are what control the airbags, not the actual impact of the bumper hitting a hard surface.

If you think about it, I was in a really bad front end collision last year at the TRR and the pole took out the whole right side of the trucks front end, but missed the front frame horn entirely, and let me tell ya, those airbags exploded in my face with no problem. I don't think the truck having a race-line bumper would have changed that outcome in anyway.

Now, will the bumper impact the warranty??? I cant imagine it will help your case any. But the good news is the install is so clean and simple as long as you don't say anything I have a hard time believing a tech is going to even notice unless they unbolt the bumper. And if they do, remember the Magnussen law act that says the part in question would have to be linked to what ever else is going wrong to deny a warranty claim. If your radio shuts off, they aren't going to inspect your frame horns to see it that's what caused it.

Glad you guys liked the video and the first batch of bumpers are at the powder coater as I type.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

assumptions:

conclusion:

My .02, YMMV

Just thinking out loud here, but don't you think because the bumper is about 4.5" forward of the front grill that would almost act like the crumple zone under a slower front end collision because you are moving the impact further forward. I have no clue if I'm right or not, just thinking...

Last edited: