Question for Damon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I noticed you said you were a GM mechanic before Ford. My work truck is an '03 Chevy 3/4 ton and lately the speedometer becomes lazy (for lack of a better word) after driving a while. For example it'll show I'm doing 30 when I'm really doing 60, but it's always accurate when I first start driving.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Hope it's OK to ask a non-Raptor question.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your instrument gage cluster. I replaced a lot of those clusters assembly's for similar problems; still do even though I don't work for a GM shop anymore. It's common for any of the gages in the cluster to act erratic in that era of GM trucks/suvs. BUT, there's a lot it could be, this is just the first thing that comes to mind without actually looking at it.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and also would this throw off my odometer accuracy?

Depends were the problem's originating from. If anything down the line before the cluster is receiving bad wheel speed data then it can affect both speedo and odometer. If its the common problem I mentioned above, where its a faulty speedo stepper motor, then no, it shouldn't affect odo.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This is sounding more like, take it to your local shop to check it out, is that right pirate?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i just remember the massive recall GM had on their speedometers for 03-05 trucks. it didn't affect the odometer unless the entire gauge cluster failed in those cases.