Question about Rear Shocks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that the 2017 Raptors have the rear shocks mounted in different directions respective of the driver and passenger side rears. What's the justification for this design?

I ask this because on the Gen 1s (and every other truck I've seen) all have the rear shocks mounted in the same direction on both sides.

Just in case, I have pointed out the shock locations on each side with Red Arrows in the pics.

Attachments

• Raptor1.JPG
    Raptor1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Raptor2.JPG
    Raptor2.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always wondered why they do that on trucks, especially on a raptor when you look at any pre runner or trophy truck they are all the same..

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F150 staggered rear shocks (forward left/rearward right) minimize axle hop.

Ahh makes sense. Has this configuration been used in recent times? A previous poster said even pre-runner trucks don't abide by the staggered layout.

If not, why hasn't this been done more on later trucks?

David

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
F150 staggered rear shocks (forward left/rearward right) minimize axle hop.

Loosely translated to "it's cheaper to mount a shock facing rearward on all the trucks than to use a progressive leaf spring (Deaver/National/Etc type) to improve the suspension further AND eliminate hop"

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosely translated to "it's cheaper to mount a shock facing rearward on all the trucks than to use a progressive leaf spring (Deaver/National/Etc type) to improve the suspension further AND eliminate hop"

Speaking of which, if I were to simply change out my stock gen 1 springs to Deavers while keeping the original Fox 2.5 shocks, that's all I would need to do to eliminate wheel hop?

David

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Speaking of which, if I were to simply change out my stock gen 1 springs to Deavers while keeping the original Fox 2.5 shocks, that's all I would need to do to eliminate wheel hop?

David

Yeah, lots of reviews from guys who have switched to deavers saying it's fixed their wheel hop.