Puddle/Cargo Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked a few time. I've searched and read through similar threads, but need clarity around an issue I have. I have a problem with my puddle light circuit, and that is also keeping my cargo light to not work. I have code B12C2 stored in the BCM. Puddle Lamp - Circuit Short to Ground. I have had that for a while. I thought that I had it worked out, but oh no, it came back. I could clear the fault in Forscan, then check 1 or 2 days later and it'd be back. But usually at least 24 hours later. A few days ago, I tried to turn on my cargo light. No luck. I have pretty much the entire truck converted with LED's where Ford had incadescent light bulbs. Now I must also add, these were the cheap $12 puddle lights from Amazon.

Fast Forward about a week. The new RPG 3rd brake light delivered from BBO. I've got it installed, but my clear led's don't light up with the cargo light. I hooked up Forscan and ran a scan. U1000:00:0A - Solid State Drive Protection Activated - Driver Disabled and also U3000:49-8A - Internal Electronic Failure. Both in the BCM. Checked my puddle light and it is not working either.

I have had my mirrors tore apart at least 3 times looking for this short. Nothing. Wires are all soldered together and I have heat shrink over all of the solder joints. I guess next place to check is where the wires run through the boot to the door. BUT - Most others who have a problem have some kind of other problem as other wires are usually bare as well. No other issues. I have read about where sometimes the LED lights can fail. Morimoto sales a set for $30. If I don't see anything wrong at the boot, I can get those installed.

BUT - Here's a question - From what I understand, if a fault repeats at a pre-determined frequency, it kicks on the U1000 and U3000 codes. Is that correct? Clearing DTC's in Forscan is not clearing the U1000 and U3000 codes. Let's say I find a bare spot, and fix it. Will the code clear when the true fault is cleared and if not, how in the world do you get the code to clear? I've reset about every module that I can.

On another side note - I did replace the battery about 2 weeks ago. Just a stop and swap and on down the road. All has been good on the battery side. Alternator is charging good and have not had to charge or jump start it since the battery was replaced.

Any input would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was up until about 2AM reading on this last night. It looks like U3000:49 pops when a frequency threshold is met from a repeated fault. I did not know this. In my case, it looks like the puddle light ground fault is what got me. I can run the BCM self test and it shows 3 faults. 2 puddle light faults and 1 interior light fault. B1313:15 - Interior Lighting Output, B12C2:15 - Puddle Lamp - Circuit short to battery or Open, B12C2:11 - Puddle Lamp - Circuit Short to Ground. So the BCM is looking at the circuits still. I reloaded my factory BCM settings in Forscan - No luck there. For what it's worth, this is probably why my battery has not died in the last few weeks. The module has the circuit shut off that outputs to the puddle lights and cargo light. I've read some posts that say the map lights are tied to that circuit as well. Not sure on that though. My map lights do come on with exiting the vehicle. But no puddle and no cargo. Anyways, if anyone has suggestions, it would be much appreciated to get some input.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the wiring where it goes from the cab into the door. It flexes everytime you open the door.

It's a common failure on the rear doors for some reason, but can happen up front too.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I popped the boot off to look at the wires in the door and that "looked" okay. I'll dig into that deeper when the new bulbs get here.

I went ahead and ordered the morimoto puddle lights and also ordered the F150LED interior lights for the interior. Map lights, rear dome light and vanity mirror. I guess I'll try changing them 1 bulb at a time and doing a self test after every bulb swap out.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pain in the **** for sure. I'll eventually get it figured out. I post on here to hopefully help someone avoid the tribulations that I go through.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my morimoto puddle lights yesterday. I pulled the mirrors apart and took out my current amazon special puddle light. Ran the Body Control Module self test and still have the same faults with no puddle lights installed. I installed the new puddle lights, no change. Still have the same faults. B1313:15 - Interior Lighting Output, B12C2:15 - Puddle Lamp - Circuit short to battery or Open, B12C2:11 - Puddle Lamp - Circuit Short to Ground.

I assume that you can buy the harness that runs into the door. But man, that's going to be pricey, all to just get the puddle lights to work and cargo light.

I looked over the wire bundle that runs through the door jam. No obvious damage to any of the outer wires. Looked at passenger and driver side.

So - Here is a thought - What if I tapped another circuit that has power at the same time that the puddle light circuit should be on?
If that would be a "maybe" - What wire circuit would you tap?

I'm still going to do more testing once I get in the interior light led's.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the puddle wire from BCM and jumped it to the wire for the courtesy lights. Puddle lights work now. BCM is still showing the same 3 faults. 2 of the faults are for the puddle lights. Seeing that they are there with the wire cut coming out of bcm, do you think the BCM would be bad? Odd that it didn't start until after I installed the cheapo puddle lights from Amazon. I'm going to try some different LED's in the front map lights/courtest lights. Maybe that will clear the interior light "open" code. Will report back with Cargo light findings and DTC for open on courtesy lights.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check for a short if you can. i dont think the light going out would cause the bcm fault. mine have been dead for years. it could be the bcm, but those hardly ever fail