Cargo lights and lighting under rearview mirrors not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw an old thread in this but the fix wasn't mentioned. My cargo lights in the 3rd brake light do not come on and just noticed that the lights under the rear view mirrors don't come on either. I replaced the short harness that goes from the 3rd brake light to the connector under the headliner just above the sliding rear window and still don't work. Also my rear sliding window does not work either. Anyone have a fix for this mess

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any DTC’s stored?

when this happened to my Jen Too, it was a BMC fault ( that I caused by overloading a circuit ). cleared the code, power restored.

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any DTC’s stored?

when this happened to my Jen Too, it was a BMC fault ( that I caused by overloading a circuit ). cleared the code, power restored.
I'm praying it be that easy. What did you do that caused overloaded circuit?

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I check DTCs? I'm assuming plugging into the BCM?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
FORSCAN would be my first guess... You Jen Juan guys can use FORSCAN too right? Else, a code reader from ... Autozone, O’Reilly’s, Advanced auto, etc.

Try clearing if you find any.

I was hooking in some baja designs squadron sports to use as reverse / up fitter lights. I was trying to be lazy and grab power local to the rear and figured I could get power from the bed light circuit “WTH! it’s only these 2 LEDs ! should have plenty of capacity on the circuit for the 3.3a I’ll need.

WRONG.

it worked for about 30 seconds and then they went dark along with bed, 3rd brake, and internal cabin lights. At first I thought fuse, pulled, not blown, reseated, scratched my head, got another beer and attempted to work out what should have been obvious. The wire I was tapping was like 22 gauge.

I did some googling and I recall it took me a long time and many different search arguments to come across a seemingly unrelated FRF post about BCM faults. Then it occurred to me - check for DTC’s with FORSCAN.

bingo. found 2 BCM codes set. with lights off, I cleared, and normal service restored.
I ran a battery home run for the relay power and it’s still working 4+ years later.

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try this as soon as I can. I haven't done any light mods though. Lighting is all stock. This just all of a sudden happened. And my back up camera sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The lights happened about 2 weeks ago and the camera started acting up a week ago. Uuuuuuuugh

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@smurfslayer. Does the harness that goes through the driver side door part of the same circuit? Cause I found some exposed wires where it bends before the big connector to the door frame when I unplugged it and pulled the boot back

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Not sure, and especially since with have different Jen Trucks.

@Old-Raptor-guy or @FordTechOne would have a better handle on that than I would. it does sound suspicious though.