Disabling BMS with Forscan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX RNmedic

Reaction score
I wanted to disable the BMS to maintain conventional charging and was able to use Forscan to turn this feature off. Afterwards, everything appears to work as planned when the engine is running....charging state and voltage, but I have a battery icon on the dash. I know this is a charging system fault, but there are no DTCs when polled. I only changed the BMS disable line in Forscan, and I figure there may be another setting that needs to be changed to remove the icon. I checked multiple PIDs, and the charging system works perfectly with a constant voltage of 13.5-13.7. I also fully charged the factory AGM battery and reset the BCM and BMS. Do you guys have any recommendations for clearing the battery light other than reactivating the BMS? My R is 3 months old with 3000 miles.

OP
OP
TX RNmedic

TX RNmedic

Reaction score
To add a bit of background, I started on this journey due to my Nextbase IQ dashcam going into park mode while I was sitting at a stoplight. Upon inspection, I found the voltage would drop to 12.4 volts at times with the engine running. After hours of reading multiple forums, I learned more about the functions of the Ford BMS, which only allows 80% charge capacity and lower battery voltages than desired. This is why I wish to disable the BMS and let the vehicle maintain adequate battery voltage and charge.