Prospective buyer with a tech question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m looking into purchasing a used 2018 Raptor. 62k miles.

During my test drive, I noticed a distinct clicking/popping sound coming from the front driver’s side. It only occurs at a very slow speed, as soon as you roll backwards or forwards but goes away at speed.

Sounds like a CV joint popping but I wasn’t sure if this is normal for these trucks.

does anyone have any idea or have heard of this before?

thanks in advance

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Good luck on your purchase. AS @GordoJay said, that's not normal at all. Could be a cv joint or iwe problem. Definitely get that taken care of before you drive it away. If it's at a dealer make them fix it first. Post a pic when/if you get it.

mfoyil

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2018 Raptor last week with 25k miles and it does not make any clicking/popping sounds. You should probably check under the hood to make sure it is not coming from the engine at idle. These motors have been known to have a problem with the timing chain and cam phasers, which can only be heard at idle or when the engine is cold. The engine sound with this problem would be a clicking/popping noise.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Good luck on your purchase. AS @GordoJay said, that's not normal at all. Could be a cv joint or iwe problem. Definitely get that taken care of before you drive it away. If it's at a dealer make them fix it first. Post a pic when/if you get it.

thanks, someone else said possibly the IWE system, maybe a vacuum leak causing the front locking hub to not fully disengage in 2wd since it’s a common problem. It’s at a dealership, so I’m having them check it out on Monday before moving forward with negotiations.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2018 Raptor last week with 25k miles and it does not make any clicking/popping sounds. You should probably check under the hood to make sure it is not coming from the engine at idle. These motors have been known to have a problem with the timing chain and cam phasers, which can only be heard at idle or when the engine is cold. The engine sound with this problem would be a clicking/popping noise.

it wasn’t an engine sound, it was not at idle. Only when placing it into gear and slowly rolling in either direction with the wheel turned in either direction. Didn’t make any noises while driving at speed or while stopped. Only at a slow roll. Someone mentioned to check on the IWE since it’s a common problem and has this sound if it has a vacuum leak.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I've never seen anyone with the 3.5 with timing chain issues. What exactly are you referring to?

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone with the 3.5 with timing chain issues. What exactly are you referring to?

I agree since when did the 3.5 HO have timing chain issues? I have not heard of any on this forum? I thought that was a gen 1 3.5 f150 ecoboost problem

:snoopfacepalm:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There are no known timing chain issues on these engines. The cam phaser concern you’re referring to is a rattle noise that only occurs immediately after a cold start and only lasts a few seconds. Ford released a TSB with updated parts to correct the issue.