Dead Gen 2 35k Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12ozcurls

Reaction score
2018 35k miles. Bought two months ago from Lincoln dealership. Mfgr warranty out, still have drivetrain and ESP. Driving yesterday and noticed a slight vibration on acceleration at pretty much any speed. Wasn’t sure if I had some ice (Minnesota) built up on driveline, wheels etc. Stopped at about 5 miles and checked oil. (Oil change done less than 3000 miles ago by Lincoln dealer). Oil was between the dots. Car sat for an hour while we were at the event. Left and noticed a faint noise that sounded like an exhaust leaks but so hard to tell in that short distance. Made a right hand turn and heard three popping noises similar to a faulty cv joint but a little louder( I’m only using cv joint sound as an example of the sound). Then about mile 5 I noticed the truck was bogging down. Then within one mile the oil pressure light came on and the engine shut off. Immediately parked on the shoulder. Did not attempt to restart. Had it towed to Ford. It was dark out at about zero degrees on the side of a busy highway so I didn’t get under the hood after it died. Why do I have an overwhelming feeling my motor fried itself? Just coming out of a Powerstroke that lost the engine at 98k. Anyone else have an immediate and unforcasted total catastrophic engine failure? SORRY FOR ANY TYPE-o’s, I’m highly irritated and can barley see the keys on the phone. Thanks

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like an oil starvation problem. Hopefully you didn't seize the motor, if the level is low they might not warranty it. Keep us posted.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you know the maintenance history of the truck? Buying used that’s always a risk. Any mods or completely stock? What happened to your Powerstroke? That’s unusual to have an engine failure at that mileage.

OP
OP
12ozcurls

12ozcurls

Reaction score
Bought the raptor from Lincoln dealership with CAI and cat back exhaust. No other known mods. Didn’t get a chance to look under the truck very good before purchasing. I asked if it was stock exhaust and the tech said yes. Took a better look after purchasing it and it is a cat back. Checked the oil 5 miles before the incident on the raptor. Oil was between the dots, closer to the top one. Powerstroke plastic lifter sleeve broke somehow, lifter spun and ate into the cam. Too much metal to save the engine.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be waaay off here (would not be the first time). But based only on your comments and what you experienced. I am wondering if it could be coils/plugs. When you have random misfires, the car/truck will hesitate as you experienced...When you accelerate, you will get misfires (popping). And if they are bad enough, the car/truck will start bogging/losing power...Like almost impossible to get up to interstate speeds...very sluggish.

Again, just a theory, and I have seen that happen before on Porsches (not had much experience with these trucks yet).

Good luck...Hope nothing more serious than bad coil/plugs or similar.

If I am wrong, you can E-laugh at me.

DC

OP
OP
12ozcurls

12ozcurls

Reaction score
I may be waaay off here (would not be the first time). But based only on your comments and what you experienced. I am wondering if it could be coils/plugs. When you have random misfires, the car/truck will hesitate as you experienced...When you accelerate, you will get misfires (popping). And if they are bad enough, the car/truck will start bogging/losing power...Like almost impossible to get up to interstate speeds...very sluggish.

Again, just a theory, and I have seen that happen before on Porsches (not had much experience with these trucks yet).

Good luck...Hope nothing more serious than bad coil/plugs or similar.

If I am wrong, you can E-laugh at me.

DC
I’ll never laugh at a brother trying to help. I hope your right. I hope it’s something non-catastrophic. I’ll update as I find out more.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it hasa Cai and a cat back then more than likely it had a tune on it. I agree that it sounds like something spark related. Hope it is qn easy fix for you. Good luck

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Low oil warning come on and then engine shut off ? or Did engine shut off and then the low oil message came on? First way i would speculate engine seized , rod bearing or something. 2nd way i would conclude a ignition or fuel problem shut engine off and low oil pressure popped up. My gen 1 will do this occasionally, first stop sign in cold weather once a month , it will stall and low oil pressure pops up. Restart and Go never stall again for weeks.

Hope it is nothing serious and get fixed fast

Something similar happened to this guy engine seized . https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/motor-died-while-driving.89082/

I met a guy yesterday at Foust motorsport raptor meet , his 2019 spun a rod bearing at idle , he was idling 20 min engine made a metallic scrape noise and seized , he had it on dash cam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
12ozcurls

12ozcurls

Reaction score
Seems to me it started to die almost immediately before lighting. And by died I mean it was all but shut down and momentum kept the truck rolling forward for a second.