Prospective buyer with a tech question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FordTechOne, the TSB on cam phaser rattle, is this something that needs to be done on all ECO Boost engines? I have an 18 that has performed perfect for now three years 22,000 miles. If so how long is the truck down for the TSB? I do not have a rattle.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree since when did the 3.5 HO have timing chain issues? I have not heard of any on this forum? I thought that was a gen 1 3.5 f150 ecoboost problem

:snoopfacepalm:

I have said this before. I have owned 4 3.5 eb since 2013 and my brother in law has one. 5 motors with over 300,000 miles of experience, and I can tell you, there is nothing wrong with the 3.5 EB.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey FordTechOne, the TSB on cam phaser rattle, is this something that needs to be done on all ECO Boost engines? I have an 18 that has performed perfect for now three years 22,000 miles. If so how long is the truck down for the TSB?

the "fix" was applied to all new Raptors with build dates July 2018 and on. Check the sticker in the drivers door for the build date. Before July 2018 build dat may have issues, most do not. August on to present day have the updated parts and you shouldn't worry.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
There are no known timing chain issues on these engines. The cam phaser concern you’re referring to is a rattle noise that only occurs immediately after a cold start and only lasts a few seconds. Ford released a TSB with updated parts to correct the issue.

did you have any advice on my original question?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The timing chain is sometimes replaced along with the cam phaser repair. I’ve wondered aloud about this practice. If you search the posts where users have posted the repair orders, a lot of times we are seeing timing chain, multiple cams, sprockets, tensioners all replaced.

Abundance of caution? or, something more?

I don’t know, but replacing the chain is not such a small thing, they stretch on initial use- just like a motorcycle chain. It’s small, but happens. If the motor is running well otherwise, why replace the T/C? Unless there’s excessive run out or stretch.

Anyway, as others have said, there’s no actual evidence of a timing chain issue on the E/B. I think a lot of repair orders include it on the “abundance of caution” principle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey FordTechOne, the TSB on cam phaser rattle, is this something that needs to be done on all ECO Boost engines? I have an 18 that has performed perfect for now three years 22,000 miles. If so how long is the truck down for the TSB? I do not have a rattle.

No. Not every engine will exhibit the concern. The issue was the result of a manufacturing issue in which some of the parts were not built to spec.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did you have any advice on my original question?

Sounds like a CV axle; they will make the most noise with the wheel turned. However, if the truck is warmed up and is in 2WD, the hubs should be disengaged and therefore the axles should not be turning. That leads me to believe it may have a damaged IWE (hub disconnect).