GEN 1 Power steering upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to ask when they recommend changing filters? I've always changed PS filters every 3-4 oil changes or when noticing a buildup but PS systems rarely have contaminates since they're "sealed". I was planning to do this upgrade but haven't had issues since switching to Amsoil fluid instead of ATF.

I'm not sure. I'm coming up on a year with the setup and still haven't changed the filter. I've put less than 10k miles on it so I don't think it's time yet. The only issue is when it in the cold, the system makes some noise until it warms up. other than that, no issues and hopefully the filter will help the seals in the rack last longer. For fluid, I'm running Royal Purple ATF.

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will any of these options work with a Roush SC set-up? Looks like the GJ won't, but wondering if anyone has got it to fit?

DWH3

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will any of these options work with a Roush SC set-up? Looks like the GJ won't, but wondering if anyone has got it to fit?

I’m curious about this as well. I upgraded to the AFCO intercooler which probably makes it even harder to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWH3

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daveypetey - I called GJ about the cooler (not the reservoir) and it will work with my Roush and the larger (Saudi) OEM trans cooler.

Tim

Do you happen to have any pictures? I’m trying to figure out if it will work with my AFCO intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
I don't have pics as I haven't installed the GJ cooler yet. However, I called their shop and they were helpful. You might give them a call and run it past them.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have end up with the Lee power steering system? It looks to be a solid unit and would like to know more. I dont beat on my truck too much, just looking at making sure it gets taken care of as the miles add up.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Anyone have end up with the Lee power steering system? It looks to be a solid unit and would like to know more. I dont beat on my truck too much, just looking at making sure it gets taken care of as the miles add up.

We can sell you the Lees PS as @Marcus85 got one for his. We also a reseller for GJ Motorsports now and can sell you that kit also.
If you would like a quote, just let me know!

AH424

Reaction score
Looking for advice on this:

I've been considering upgrading to the Lee's or Howe Pump kit for a while now. I've gone through 3 Power Steering pumps in about 90k miles (two pumps on the last truck and now I need to replace it on this truck). I told myself that next time it went out I would be upgrading the pump and reservoir, but now I now have the truck up in Alaska and I don't know how well it will handle the cold.

I've talked to a few people that all say the pump whines in cold temps until the fluid warms up, which ins't surprising. I want to upgrade the pump to avoid failures during hard/hot driving in the summer, but I regularly see outside air temps of -40° for a few weeks in the winter and I have to imagine that's going to damage any pump (even a cast iron TC pump). Even using ATF or Aviation Hydro during the cold months, I would think the pump just won't last driving through out the winter.

Anyone have experience with the Lee's or Howe performance pumps in serious cold weather? I'm hesitant to spend $1400 on a better pump/reservoir set up if i'm still going to have to replace it next year. I don't know what temperatures these pumps were tested at, but I doubt they tested them from -60° to +100°.

gtxracer

Reaction score
Lee's PS pump is a conversion to TC or CB pumps using their adapter bracket. It's a completely different pump.

If you want the system to warm up quickly, you'll want to use a thermostat between the cooler and the reservoir so the thermostat bypasses the cooler until it is warm. That will help the pump last longer no matter which pump you choose. Also, I would use traditional power steering fluid. Swap your high pressure hose out while you're in there, the OEM units fail often. I swapped my pump after some spirited donuts and the line blew out about 10k later.

I like Lees kit, it seems well put together and thought out. Howe seems to have a different approach with steering. I run a Sweet servo and CB pump setup on my Jeep with a huge double ended ram. It's still hydro assist but much different than typical assist setups. I run Amsoil fluid in both the Raptor and the Jeep with great results. Howe recommends more pump flow than most others so they can upsell you to their trophy truck pump. It's not needed, not even in my Jeep with a huge ram. You also only need a new rack if contaminates killed your current rack.

A pressure relief valve would work wonders for these trucks. It relieves the pressure of the pump at full lock when properly setup. If you run power steering fluid in a new pump with new high pressure line and a good reservoir and a thermostat between the cooler and reservoir, I think you'll be in good shape.