GEN 1 Power steering upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. The placement we chose is to maximize cool air exposure to the reservoir to keep the fluid temps down. Unfortunately this location doesn't allow for a 40" behind the grille lightbar

Does the GJ Motorsports reservoir address the cavitation issues that happen with the stock reservoir? That reservoir from Lee seems to make the claim that the oil stays completely still while in it.

I like the filter setup and placement with the GJ one.

D

Deleted member 12951

You are correct. The placement we chose is to maximize cool air exposure to the reservoir to keep the fluid temps down. Unfortunately this location doesn't allow for a 40" behind the grille lightbar.

But you've already got enough light on the front of that thing, you won't even notice it's missing [emoji23]

I have no desire to remove that light, its all amber and comes in too handy. And further, I plan on removing the WSI rack with those Whelen, Baja Designs and TMX Blackhawks and sell it since I ordered your third brake light kit. So I will lose some lighting.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to remove that light, its all amber and comes in too handy. And further, I plan on removing the WSI rack with those Whelen, Baja Designs and TMX Blackhawks and sell it since I ordered your third brake light kit. So I will lose some lighting.

Can't argue with that

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the GJ Motorsports reservoir address the cavitation issues that happen with the stock reservoir? That reservoir from Lee seems to make the claim that the oil stays completely still while in it.

I like the filter setup and placement with the GJ one.

It doesn't eliminate the cavitation issue, but it certainly does help. There's better baffling in the GJ reservoir that keep the fluid as stable as possible. I don't see how fluid could stay perfectly still unless it was a completly sealed system.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't eliminate the cavitation issue, but it certainly does help. There's better baffling in the GJ reservoir that keep the fluid as stable as possible. I don't see how fluid could stay perfectly still unless it was a completly sealed system.

I agree, the claim Lee makes, that the fluid stays still during operation, seems like they aren't offroading or jumping the truck while testing it. I would be interested in seeing the guts of both the Lee and GJ systems to get an idea of what is going on inside (not to mention an actual picture of the Lee reservoir since it is missing from their site).

Thanks NE Ford for the details, that is one of the coolest reservoir setups I have seen.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the claim Lee makes, that the fluid stays still during operation, seems like they aren't offroading or jumping the truck while testing it. I would be interested in seeing the guts of both the Lee and GJ systems to get an idea of what is going on inside (not to mention an actual picture of the Lee reservoir since it is missing from their site).

Thanks NE Ford for the details, that is one of the coolest reservoir setups I have seen.

I'll have my hands on the GJ reservoir this weekend so I can get you some photos.

D

Deleted member 12951

@RDFTS. Sounds like you have a beast of a truck. Do you mind sharing some pics of your lighting setup before removal?

d3c8d42d15bc0b7cdabbef41d2a4d5bf.jpg

Rear has two amber cubes on the light rack and two amber flush mounts in the bumper.

985279ec2f24cb7e081fbdd92a57aa39.jpg

Only pic I could find on my phone with JUST the amber behind the grill on that I do not want to remove for a different PS cooler.

beb8dacd791d577d362a6350383fccf4.jpg

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't have time to get to the shop and get photos but I'll be installing one on my truck in the next week or so and will get photos then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get to the shop and get photos but I'll be installing one on my truck in the next week or so and will get photos then.

I would like some pics when you get a chance. I have been real interested in the GJ reservoir. I need a new system for Baja this fall [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk