GEN 1 Power steering upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
I installed the lee kit last summer ( just remember it still very hot). I was hesitant after going through 3 pumps in 3 years as and was looking to potentially go to pump#4 after offroading with a friend in peak summer heat (I recall the outside temp reading 120+ at some points).
Yhings still seem to be functioning great and fluid looks fantastic as well. No whining or pump failure as of yet.
I'm not that guy that steers into donuts and hold the wheel but i do like to drive hard and slide the truck around in the dirt. Frankly, I'd never even done a fill donut until recently due to fear of blowing a pump. I was tired I burning stock pumps even with an RPGs reservoir and an additional fluid cooler. I know this is a bit of an oversimplified review, bit I had previously have anxiety about my stock pump (as they seemed to go out regularly though maybe not completely due to fault bbn of the pump) but since switching to the lee kit, its really been everything they advertised (though I feel the bracket for the filter could be nicer). Its really been everything i had hoped for sofar.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have as much as I can. I struggled to feel like I didnt have to baby the steering 24/7 and even then I was still nervous about pump failure. I know many people seem to run RPG reservoirs and things are great but I'm glad to ha vfc e made the change and relieved to finally feel more confident offroad without the anxiety of potentially blowing aso far.

Currently running the Lee power steering kit and swepco 715 fluid.

Last edited:

elMechanic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. sorry bring back this old thread. But, I have been looking around the forum for the same issue (upgrading Power Steering for the gen1) as I blew 4 of them.

I am considering the Lee PS kit, but have some questions.

First, whats you impressions on it for those who installed it after a long period? Any problems?

My second question, does the kit come with an intercooler? If not, does it need one?

Thanks in advance

Augster

Reaction score
I'm curious if the Lee pump could be purchased by itself? I'll be installing a Whipple so the front mounted reservoir won't work. Will use a SDHQ reservoir and cooler to mate with the Lee pump...

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if the Lee pump could be purchased by itself? I'll be installing a Whipple so the front mounted reservoir won't work. Will use a SDHQ reservoir and cooler to mate with the Lee pump...
I have the howe power steering res in the front of my radiator core support and my stage 2 intercooler fits up there with it just fine.

Augster

Reaction score
FYI, I contacted Lee Power Steering and this is what they said,

"The design of our reservoir with its internal baffling and "T" return is a key part of the system and helps the fluid from aerating. I'd much rather see you use our reservoir even if you have to change its mounting location."