GEN 1 Power steering upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAfreeride

Reaction score
Please post a review of the Lee PS kit...
I’m looking at another pump since my 2nd one went to shitsville during a quick run in Barstow last Saturday.
Deciding between the Lee and the Howe kit which are $1295 and $1085 respectively.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a question. At what point does one consider retrofitting an EPAS from a '17? Rockauto has Motorcraft new for $1370.79 (well core is another $400). I'm pretty sure EPAS Peformance could help, not sure what the whole enchilada would set you back though. I'm thinking it would be a viable option if my rack fails.

Also wondering if a universal GM (I know, blasphemy) pump from Turn One might be an option if the pump is the main issue. If the stock pump I replaced earlier this year starts whining again that could be worth trying, especially if I could rebuild the little ******.

Last edited:

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I"m not sure if it fits, but a ps pump from a '10 is a cast iron/steel unit and holds up to the heat better. I have beaten the shiiiit out of my '10 and haven't had pump issues. I also have a 8x11 tube/fin ps cooler.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I ordered the two additional fittings:

1) Fragola AN -10 Black Anodized Aluminum Series 8000 Push-Lite 90 Degree Bent Tube Hose Ends
1) Fragola AN -8 Female To -6 Push Lock Hose Black Anodized Aluminum Reducer 90 Degree Hose Ends

I’m hoping to reuse the stock hoses and use new screw type hose clamps.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my completed installation. This is a Kartek reservoir is a compliment to my brand new steering rack. I had one hell of a time getting the old hose off the pump. I ended up cutting the old hose off at the pump nipple and cutting the clamp off with a Dremel. I would love to see how a professional mechanic would have handled that stupid hose. Anyways, I have about 500 miles so far and the fluid looks great. Total cost here with the reservoir, fittings, and hoses was about $280. The bracket is a piece of flat steel i bent in a _|--|_ shape.

IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3142.JPG

gtxracer

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my completed installation. This is a Kartek reservoir is a compliment to my brand new steering rack. I had one hell of a time getting the old hose off the pump. I ended up cutting the old hose off at the pump nipple and cutting the clamp off with a Dremel. I would love to see how a professional mechanic would have handled that stupid hose. Anyways, I have about 500 miles so far and the fluid looks great. Total cost here with the reservoir, fittings, and hoses was about $280. The bracket is a piece of flat steel i bent in a _|--|_ shape.

View attachment 117038 View attachment 117039

Did you happen to ask when they recommend changing filters? I've always changed PS filters every 3-4 oil changes or when noticing a buildup but PS systems rarely have contaminates since they're "sealed". I was planning to do this upgrade but haven't had issues since switching to Amsoil fluid instead of ATF.

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the GJ PS cooler works with the larger OEM trans cooler (DL3Z-7A095-B, standard on Saudi Raptors)?

I can't tell if the two will interfere but it looks like NE Ford might be running the same cooler.