Pop sound from front left when using 4a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree with this diag. The noise in question only happens in 4a when turning left or right. Not sure how the transfer case would cause to happen.
A point of clarification:
Did you test in 4h ( non-pavement surface of course ) or 4L ?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
The noise is question happens in 4a only. It does not happen in 2h.

@REX111 - I’m not trying to be obtuse here, but asking did you test in 4h or 4l -- in other words, not a ‘road’ mode of the transfer case? The stealership is saying t/c.

You’re saying you tested in 2 of the 4 possibilities of the transfer case. I think it could make a difference but you wouldn’t want to be using 4h or 4l on pavement. hopefully that makes sense.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@REX111 - I’m not trying to be obtuse here, but asking did you test in 4h or 4l -- in other words, not a ‘road’ mode of the transfer case? The stealership is saying t/c.

You’re saying you tested in 2 of the 4 possibilities of the transfer case. I think it could make a difference but you wouldn’t want to be using 4h or 4l on pavement. hopefully that makes sense.

OP
OP
REX111

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not used 4l/4h on pavement. I only noticed this pop noise when using the 4a drive mode during small snow storm last year. The dealership has had my truck for most of January.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This diag could make sense. 4A has power transferred to the front based on how much power is be produced by the engine and if the rear is losing traction etc. I’m sure there is a more technical strategy applied then I am trying to explain. But in 4A you are not running in locked out 4H/L and the transfer case applies power to the front by the clutches engaging within the transfer case. Meaning when in 4A it would be noticeable if there is a problem in the xfer case.

I can see what @smurfslayer is saying. If the truck doesn’t exhibit the same issue in 4H/L then it’s a better chance the problem is in the xfer case and could be the clutches within having a problem. The techs may have proved this switching and testing in diff drive modes. Either way the front torsen if equipped is always working but not having power applied to it in 2WD.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
That’s kind of where I was trying to go; by attempting to validate / invalidate in the other t/c selections, you may be able to rule it in or out.

Thanks for the assist @K223

So anyway, maybe the stealership is on to something, fingers x’d.