Pop sound from front left when using 4a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when using 4a and turning left or right I always hear a pop noise coming from the front left of the truck. This noise doesn’t happen when in 2H. I’ve include a video. The noise is mush louder when sitting in the truck than it is on the video.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    8.5 MB

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, my first thought is CV joint too. Worth a look by a shop, I wouldn’t put this off.

OP
OP
REX111

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call my local dealership and the service manager informed me that I shouldn’t be using 4a. I should be using 2H for everything unless off-roading.

What I’ve found online say that I can use 4a all the time if I want. I normal only use it when rain/snow. Just when I want a little more traction.

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. The system continuously monitors road conditions, driver's input as well as other vehicle sensors and optimizes the system's behavior based on terrain mode selection.

OP
OP
REX111

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Her is another video. I pointed the mic at the firewall. This vid is just for sound. This was 4A making a right turn.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    10.8 MB

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call my local dealership and the service manager informed me that I shouldn’t be using 4a. I should be using 2H for everything unless off-roading.

What I’ve found online say that I can use 4a all the time if I want. I normal only use it when rain/snow. Just when I want a little more traction.

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. The system continuously monitors road conditions, driver's input as well as other vehicle sensors and optimizes the system's behavior based on terrain mode selection.
Yeah, your dealer is misguided, 4H is for offroad only and not for hard packed logging roads either, 4A is for on road or offroad but I wouldn't use it on pavement if I didn't need it, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Been using 4a since ’17 almost constantly. where in the manual does it say what service mangler says?

it’s mostly helpful in lower traction but... it can keep you from spinning excessively if you lose traction on dry pavement too. IOW, if you’re just trying to accelerate and not waste your tires.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Her is another video. I pointed the mic at the firewall. This vid is just for sound. This was 4A making a right turn.
This could also be your sway bar end links, I would replace them first and see if the problem goes away.

edit: you could disconnect them and test drive it as well. But then may as well replace after they are half off.