PLEASE HELP - Looking at a gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Ford Performance diff cover. Adds an extra 10-20 HP with the Ford logo on it.

I was offered $40k trade on my 2013 with 55k. All used Raptors seem to be on the rise. Low mileage gen 1s are getting harder to find.

DAMN,if I had known that I would spent the extra $125 for the Ford Cover....my Dana only gives me 5 extra HP...:happy175:

I agree....low mileage Gen 1's if well maintained will hold value (of course Gen 2 owners will disagree)....I was offered $5K more than I paid couple months after buying it...but think thats the exception to the rule in general...mine was owned my a guy with very deep pockets,had a fleet of a dozen collector cars and a guy just to care for them,and only used the Raptor to get to his office.It had just under 50K on it when I bought and it looked like a brand new truck when it arrived on transporter...(Nope,never even test drove it,a crazy first for me,but never looked back...there are still some good deals out there,just need to search them out and be patient )

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good find. You say it only does it in reverse at full lock? What about just off full lock? Like turn it full till you hit the stop, let go of the wheel and reverse, does it still vibrate? My steering rack started acting up around the 80k mark. I have 193k on and it’s still the original, I’ve been expecting it to fail any day, but now I have to see how long it can go.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne any suggestions for the reverse vibration above?

Most likely the result of the steering knuckle contacting the steering stop on the lower control arm at full lock. Adding some HD grease to the steering stop contact point may eliminate the issue.

It continues to amaze me how every Gen 1 thread turns into a competition with Gen 2; not sure why people are so insecure. The Gen 1 broke new ground in the segment, and is a solid truck. The 6.2 is a beast of an engine and is rated for commercial service in the F-Super Duty, which never hurts. I've seen a few with broken valve springs, but nothing high volume. 6R80 is a solid trans, and both generations use the corporate 9.75. Gen 2 improved on everything that the Gen 1 pioneered, and as expected from a 2nd generation truck, exceeds it in performance. That doesn't take anything away from the Gen 1, but it's naive and foolish to believe that things somehow went backward and the older generation is superior in performance. As far as resale, both are holding their values very well, as there is a strong market for Raptors regardless of generation. Yet I can't go a day without seeing a post of someone bashing a Gen 2 for no reason other than what appears to be ignorance.

I've been contributing on forums for 20 years, and I've never experienced the animosity, rivalry, and downright anger that certain members on here perpetuate toward those with the Gen 2 trucks. It honestly disturbs me that a group of like minded enthusiasts are so hostile toward those with the newer model. I've been a member of everything from LS1 Tech to SVTPerformance to the Grand Prix forum and never have I seen such divisiveness.

Allmarine

Reaction score
I had a 2013 Gen 1. Purchased new here in Aus and traded it about 2 years ago. Got my money back on it. Awesome truck and in a lot of ways wish i still had it now. They are still holding good value here second hand.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the result of the steering knuckle contacting the steering stop on the lower control arm at full lock. Adding some HD grease to the steering stop contact point may eliminate the issue.

It continues to amaze me how every Gen 1 thread turns into a competition with Gen 2; not sure why people are so insecure. The Gen 1 broke new ground in the segment, and is a solid truck. The 6.2 is a beast of an engine and is rated for commercial service in the F-Super Duty, which never hurts. I've seen a few with broken valve springs, but nothing high volume. 6R80 is a solid trans, and both generations use the corporate 9.75. Gen 2 improved on everything that the Gen 1 pioneered, and as expected from a 2nd generation truck, exceeds it in performance. That doesn't take anything away from the Gen 1, but it's naive and foolish to believe that things somehow went backward and the older generation is superior in performance. As far as resale, both are holding their values very well, as there is a strong market for Raptors regardless of generation. Yet I can't go a day without seeing a post of someone bashing a Gen 2 for no reason other than what appears to be ignorance.

I've been contributing on forums for 20 years, and I've never experienced the animosity, rivalry, and downright anger that certain members on here perpetuate toward those with the Gen 2 trucks. It honestly disturbs me that a group of like minded enthusiasts are so hostile toward those with the newer model. I've been a member of everything from LS1 Tech to SVTPerformance to the Grand Prix forum and never have I seen such divisiveness.

I joined this forum in 2015 and it was awesome.

Along comes the Gen 2 and a new crowd with it that pioneered the current shit show that you speak of.

There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides, but the biggest issue IMO is that a completely duplicated forum for each generation was never created. My BMW forum is split up by model & Gen and I haven't seen any Gen war issues like on FRF.