Pissed after recent software update!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes I am. Thank you for pointing that out. To be clear, I am referring to the automatic engine shut off when you stop at a red traffic light.

ok, that’s what ford calls auto-start-stop. That’s a fuel saving feature that shuts the truck off at red lights. There is also a auto engine shutdown. This function shuts the engine down after idle in park for a particular amount of time. This function can be disabled in the instrument cluster but resets after key cycle. I’ve never seen a option to turn off auto-start-stop in the instrument cluster. If you get a chance, can you take a picture of the option in your instrument cluster?

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
right, but for 6 months it stayed that way upon engine recycle. During that time when I would start up in the morning, or anytime for that matter, the amber disable indicator on the manual dash button would automatically be lit, indicating that Auto Stop was disabled. Sorry, I know it doesn't make sense but that is what happened.
I would suspect it's more of a fluke than something that was intented if it did act as you described.

There are a couple of different things that could have caused this. @FordTechOne might have some insight for sure on this.

1. The Truck didn't clear the setting due to a glitch or bug in the software.
2. It did enable but you didn't apply enough brake pressure to trigger it at a light.
3. The weather was just too cold for it to actually engage

Since your in the OC, I would think it's more of a 1 or 2 although we were at Disneyland over the weekend and I didn't disable it and it was cold and mine never shut off.

I would consider it a gift from the Raptor gods if it was a glitch that you at least had it that long.

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
I would suspect it's more of a fluke than something that was intented if it did act as you described.

There are a couple of different things that could have caused this. @FordTechOne might have some insight for sure on this.

2. It did enable but you didn't apply enough brake pressure to trigger it at a light.

Since your in the OC, I would think it's more of a 1 or 2 although we were at Disneyland over the weekend and I didn't disable it and it was cold and mine never shut off.

I would consider it a gift from the Raptor gods if it was a glitch that you at least had it that long.

I was thinking the same thing as #1. A lucky glitch. I have raced dirt bikes all my life so easy braking really isn't an option for me, lol, and So Cal ins't cold enough for it to have been disabled for 6 months, besides, the indicator lite on the button would be lit at start up.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is from the Owners Manual...

fordLogo24H.png

Unique Driving Characteristics
AUTO-START-STOP
The system helps reduce fuel consumption by automatically stopping and restarting the engine when your vehicle has stopped. The engine restarts automatically when you release the brake pedal.
In some situations, your vehicle may restart automatically, for example:
  • To maintain interior comfort.
  • To recharge the battery.
Note: Power assist steering turns off when the engine is off.
Note: Auto-Start-Stop will not be available for a short time after you refuel while the system is verifying the fuel type used.
imagen2.png WARNING: Apply the parking brake, shift into park (P), switch the ignition off and remove the key before you leave your vehicle. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury or death.
imagen2.png WARNING: Before opening the hood, fully apply the parking brake, shift into park (P) or neutral (N) and switch the ignition off.
imagen2.png WARNING: Apply the parking brake, shift into park (P), switch the ignition off and remove the key before you open the hood or have any service or repair work completed. If you do not switch the ignition off, the engine could restart at any time. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury or death.
imagen2.png WARNING: The system may require the engine to automatically restart when the auto-start-stop indicator illuminates green or flashes amber. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.

The Auto-Start-Stop system status is available at a glance within the information display. See Information Displays.
Enabling Auto-Start-Stop
The system automatically enables every time you start your vehicle if:
  • You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button (not illuminated).
  • Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after you have initially started your vehicle.
  • You have stopped your vehicle.
  • Your foot is on the brake pedal.
  • The driver door is closed.
  • There is adequate brake vacuum.
  • The interior compartment has cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
  • The front windshield defroster is off.
  • You have not turned the steering wheel rapidly or you do not have it at a sharp angle.
  • The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
  • The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
  • The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
  • The vehicle is not at a high elevation.
  • Ambient temperature is moderate.
  • The trailer is not connected.
  • If you select Normal, Eco, Snow/Wet or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes. (if equipped).
  • You are not in 4H or 4L.
  • You have not selected Manual shift mode.
  • Trail control is not active.
  • You have not selected Tow haul, Sport, Sand, Mud/Rut or Baja modes. (if equipped).
imagen2.jpg If the instrument cluster is equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it illuminates when automatic engine stop is not available due to one of the above noted conditions not being met.
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
  • You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
  • You press the accelerator pedal.
  • You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
  • The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
  • Your vehicle is moving.
  • The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
  • Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
  • The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
  • You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
  • When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
  • The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
  • You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
  • You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
Note: You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.
Disabling Auto-Start-Stop
imagen2.jpg
Press the Auto-Start-Stop button located on the center console to switch the system off. The button will illuminate. Deactivating using the button lasts only one key cycle. Press the button again to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.
Note: If the Shift to P, Restart Engine message appears and the amber Auto-Start-Stop indicator light is flashing, automatic restart is not available. You must restart the vehicle manually. See Information Displays.
If Auto Start Stop stops your engine, shifting from drive (D) to reverse (R) will not restart your engine unless you are pressing the brake pedal. When the Press Brake to Start Engine message appears, you must press the brake pedal within 60 seconds or you will have to shift to park (P) and manually restart.
2019 F-150 Owner's Manual

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this? You have a phone charger or come other USB in the truck at this time?

Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The conditions you mentioned all affect the operation of auto start/stop, but none of them will result in the disable indicator illuminating on the button. The status of the auto/start stop can be viewed in the IPC; often it will indicate a status such as "engine start/stop disabled due to engine warming" or "engine on due to cabin temperature request" (not verbatim). Definitely strange.

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
Maybe this? You have a phone charger or come other USB in the truck at this time?

Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine.
i did have an iPhone cord plugged into one of the USB ports in the console for some time. I'll try plugging it back in and see, but I am not too hopeful on this one.

OP
OP
Chainguide

Chainguide

Reaction score
The conditions you mentioned all affect the operation of auto start/stop, but none of them will result in the disable indicator illuminating on the button. The status of the auto/start stop can be viewed in the IPC; often it will indicate a status such as "engine start/stop disabled due to engine warming" or "engine on due to cabin temperature request" (not verbatim). Definitely strange.
i am leaning towards that I had a fortunate and coincidental glitch, but I swear that after I toggled it off from the console screen, it stayed off for 6 months. I will post a pic of the screen in a few, as someone suggested.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i am leaning towards that I had a fortunate and coincidental glitch, but I swear that after I toggled it off from the console screen, it stayed off for 6 months. I will post a pic of the screen in a few, as someone suggested.

Can you post a pic of the screen you are disabling the auto-start-stop?