Pinging with Cobb tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ibuildnoleaks

Ibuildnoleaks

Reaction score
Well, just took it out and had a ton of pinging! Brought it back home and loaded the 87 map. I will keep you updated!

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, just took it out and had a ton of pinging! Brought it back home and loaded the 87 map. I will keep you updated!

Make sure you update your AP manager and have the latest maps. They were updated at least once.

Flash the new map to the ECU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ibuildnoleaks

Ibuildnoleaks

Reaction score
Yeah, the first thing was update it. I can hear just slight ping under mid throttle with the 87/91 stage 1. I've bought gas from 2 different places, 100% 91 octane. Not sure wtf is going on with this thing. I put it back to stock for now. I am still curious what anyone else has been seeing as far as the high end of the boost goes. Mine showed 24.98 on the stage 1 91 tune.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last, I suggest datalog and send the info to Cobb. I would call Cobb beforehand to give them a heads up.

I’ve never had to use their customer service but I have heard they’re excellent.

OP
OP
Ibuildnoleaks

Ibuildnoleaks

Reaction score
I'm, giving them a call tomorrow. I should have datalogged it but I did not. @JohnyPython, Do you have a cobb tuner? Which map are you running? what boost pressures have you seen?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm, giving them a call tomorrow. I should have datalogged it but I did not. @JohnyPython, Do you have a cobb tuner? Which map are you running? what boost pressures have you seen?

I am running Cobb stage 1 OTS. I am lucky to get Petrocan 94 which is similar to Sunoco 94.

IIRC, I think I hit 22 psi peak.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run stage 2 on 91 octane and get real close to 24 psi but haven’t seen anything over 24.

OP
OP
Ibuildnoleaks

Ibuildnoleaks

Reaction score
Weird, Any ideas as to what would cause overboost like that? I bought it used w/ 11,000 miles. I wonder if there's something added I don't know about.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you're looking at the min/max values displayed for the boost monitor on the Accessport, I would say that the pressure you're seeing is within spec. The Ford boost control system is highly adaptive to the conditions in which the vehicle is being operated, and will vary boost pressure to create a more regular, consistent engine output. Relevant factors are ambient temp., barometric pressure, intake air temperature, etc. Target boost pressure also varies primarily based on RPM, charge air temperature, and inferred fuel quality.

For your pinging issue - I'm personally hesitant to draw conclusions based on descriptions of engine sounds, but datalogs don't lie! Let's have you capture a datalog with your Accessport of engine operation where the pinging occurs on the Stage 1 91 OTS map. If there is knock occurring, the engine's knock sensors will report that data to the ECU, and the Accessport will be able to log it. Use the default datalogging list (already set-up, no need to change). Email that in to [email protected], I'll check it out, and we'll move on from there!

For others referencing this thread now or in the future, one easy way to asses long-term knock activity and fuel quality is to look at the monitor Knock Octane Modifier (KOM). This is a global timing and load modifier that increases with high fuel quality (max = 1), and decreases with poor fuel quality (min = -1). This is the core of Ford's octane learning system, which remains in full use in our OTS maps. If significant and/or regular knock events occur, the ECU will decrease the KOM value. Through the use of KOM-based control tables, decreases in KOM will retard ignition timing and load targets globally across all engine operating conditions to accommodate for lower quality fuels. In general, all 91 and 93 octane OTS maps will run at a KOM of +1. HOWEVER, there are limits on KOM - namely, coolant temperature and RPM. At low or extremely high coolant temps, KOM will be limited to a value potentially lower than it's 'learned' value. This, by design, is a part of Ford's strategy for engine safety - limit power when warming up, limit power when overheating. So, if you want to check out what your truck is reporting for KOM, let it warm up to normal engine operating temperatures first.

If anyone has questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Thanks,
Sam@COBB

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you update your AP manager and have the latest maps. They were updated at least once.

Flash the new map to the ECU.

As far as downloading new maps... is it as easy as plugging it in and going to the COBB website and getting new maps?

I guess I will do new plugs also because I have a little tremble after going stage 2, FMIC/SPD/Corsa