Pinging with Cobb tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ibuildnoleaks

Reaction score
Just installed the Stage 1 91 performance tune on my 17, noticed some pinging under light/mid throttle. Anyone else have anything like this happen? Should I be worried? Just picked up some SP-542 plugs and plan on changing tonight.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cobb tunes can be picky with gas. Could be a bad batch of gas. Try a different gas station/brand.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven’t have any issues with Cobb or stage 2 @goosetuned. Other than many smiles!!

OP
OP
Ibuildnoleaks

Ibuildnoleaks

Reaction score
Ok, changed plugs and gas. It actually runs better than ever! Very smooth pulls. How much boost are you guys seeing out of stage 1 91 octane tune? My display showed 24.98 which seems pretty high to me.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, changed plugs and gas. It actually runs better than ever! Very smooth pulls. How much boost are you guys seeing out of stage 1 91 octane tune? My display showed 24.98 which seems pretty high to me.

I think you solved by changing the plugs. We're they the originals? What plug did you replace with? It seems most tunes require a different spark plug due to the tune.

BarryG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m also about to change my plugs. I believe mine are original - what is the best plug to switch to?!?? I’m going to be pretty heavily modding mine - soon. Tune. Exhaust. DPipes. Intake. Turbo adapters... etc, etc,.... NEED THE BEST SPARK!!

SRPRACING

Reaction score
Stick with motorcraft plugs. SP-542 will work best in your situation. They are no longer sold individually but instead in a kit by Ford Performance. They come pregapped around 0.031 which works in most cases but gapping down to .028 would be best.

Also check with your tuner since most have their own preferences.