Over-the-air updates and power increases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why won't FORSCAN work anymore? I saw on the F150Forum that they have a spread sheet available for the 14th Gen F-150.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe I read Ford can perform OTA updates to any module onboard the vehicle now on the new ‘21s and up now. But outside of pushing down an update to correct problems or improve driveability. I doubt we will see any engine performance increases in regards to power output. Now for the EV’s, they may push power up as they improve battery management.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What happens during a OTA tune when you suddenly lose connectivity?
I imagine the truck will download the complete image file, before it performs the actual update. It wouldn’t be hard to have a failure while downloading and your PCM gets bricked.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why won't FORSCAN work anymore? I saw on the F150Forum that they have a spread sheet available for the 14th Gen F-150.

heh. Looks like you can still use ******** for some things.

As a side note, the whole concept of FORSCAN, that it actually has a purpose, bothers me. I don't like the idea that there are feature readily available that Ford doesn't want you to have because you didn't buy the right trim level. It was clearly cheaper just to throw in the feature then turn it off rather than just not install to begin with.

I wish Ford would stop playing games and just make an options/setting screen in the infotainment screen for this sort of thing. I get that some of the settings are per local government regulations, but they can package those in by region. That would actually be a bonus so you could take your vehicle to a different country and comply with local standards. Or...you could break the law with a changed setting, but turn it back quickly right before your inspection.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
heh. Looks like you can still use ******** for some things.

As a side note, the whole concept of FORSCAN, that it actually has a purpose, bothers me. I don't like the idea that there are feature readily available that Ford doesn't want you to have because you didn't buy the right trim level. It was clearly cheaper just to throw in the feature then turn it off rather than just not install to begin with.

I wish Ford would stop playing games and just make an options/setting screen in the infotainment screen for this sort of thing. I get that some of the settings are per local government regulations, but they can package those in by region. That would actually be a bonus so you could take your vehicle to a different country and comply with local standards. Or...you could break the law with a changed setting, but turn it back quickly right before your inspection.
It’s not just Ford. Tesla and the EV’s make it easy for the manufacturer to enable or disable features you did or did not buy. I’m sure other ice brand vehicles are doing it as well. Simpler for them to just include it all.

fts

Reaction score
... but if you can jailbreak iPhones, I am sure you can beat a Ford truck. :)

I think you are right about this. Along the same thought process: If people can hack into a power plant, they can surely hack into FORSCAN. This thought bothers me quite a bit actually.