On board air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Matteau

Reaction score
Im looking into a compressor for the purpose of airing up 37s. The Viair 450P 45043 looks to be the least expensive. Is the ARB two stage necessary for 37s and worth the cost difference from the Viair? Any other options? I like to do things right the first time to save money not upgrading in the future.

Paul Matteau

Reaction score
I bought the Viar Constant duty compressor system with 2.5 gal tank and installed it where the stock spare would have been.
Spend another $30 and get a decent digital pressure gauge online like the one pictured below. Great for airing up and down.Screenshot_20190627-105209_Amazon Shopping.jpg 20190525_120652.jpg Screenshot_20190609-155641_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Wfo

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a motion pro digital gauge from motocross and superbike days. Goes down to a tenth of a pound.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people overlook the CO2 tanks because they have to be filled and there is a chance you could run out of air while off-road. I can't give enough praise for mine (10lb). It can fill my 37's three or four times from 24psi to 40. I've never had an issue with running out of air on a single trip; I normally lower at the beginning and air back up at the end. There are some added benefits to the tank, generally take up less physical space, no moving parts to get dirty, [as already mentioned] faster fill times, and way more convenient/portable. I use it around the house for little things instead of firing up my big garage compressor.

I knew after the first time filling my tires with a ****** compressor, where it took an hour to get all 4 done, I would never go through that again. Time is the big difference between compressors, so it is all personal preference. A $30 Walmart compressor is good enough for 37" tires...if you have 4 hours to fill a tire. With the CO2, I can have all four filled in 15 or 20 min. If I bought a splitter and a friend, I could probably cut that down to 10 min.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think a lot of people overlook the CO2 tanks because they have to be filled and there is a chance you could run out of air while off-road. I can't give enough praise for mine (10lb). It can fill my 37's three or four times from 24psi to 40. I've never had an issue with running out of air on a single trip; I normally lower at the beginning and air back up at the end. There are some added benefits to the tank, generally take up less physical space, no moving parts to get dirty, [as already mentioned] faster fill times, and way more convenient/portable. I use it around the house for little things instead of firing up my big garage compressor.

I knew after the first time filling my tires with a ****** compressor, where it took an hour to get all 4 done, I would never go through that again. Time is the big difference between compressors, so it is all personal preference. A $30 Walmart compressor is good enough for 37" tires...if you have 4 hours to fill a tire. With the CO2, I can have all four filled in 15 or 20 min. If I bought a splitter and a friend, I could probably cut that down to 10 min.
To each their own. My dual compressors and five gallon tank realistically take up zero space since it's all tucked away and hidden up in the frame. I have air chucks front and back. I have unlimited air and air up my tires from 15psi in something like 10-15 minutes. Also, train horns.
I second the ****** compressor misery. I did that once many years ago. It's not feasible unless you have no other choice.

Link to pics: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/posts/1092134/

Last edited:

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on what works best for them. For me a good quality compressor (ARB twin) is the best choice. For others a tank might be better. I can do the 4 tires in less than 20 minutes from 12 to 34 PSI without a air tank. It only takes up a little space. I do recommend that you run your engine while running the compressor, as it does pull quite a bit of amperage.

DeltaRaptor

Reaction score
Hi, Guys
If you want the best of the best. I would suggest the UP/Down Air Kit
This is a Gen 2 Raptor Specific Kit and places 4 chucks in each wheel well.
It is a little over the top but totally worth it. You can air down or air up with all 4 wheels connected at once.
Simply the best system on the market. I bought it for my Raptor and it works fantastic and never let me down.
Here is a link.
https://updownair.com/product/air-i...ith-a-storage-bag-push-to-connect-fittings-2/

Enjoy!

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly look at hpa systems and you can buy your own 4500psi compressor for a couple hundred bucks so you're not paying ten bucks to fill it. It's quick, effective, and can fill your tires, power a pnuematic jack, and even a torque wrench. I highly recommend it!

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score