OMG parking brake release...duh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faultball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So funny, I found out that my 2020 screw has the step on gas parking brake release just drive away thingie no need to reach down to push switch...had no idea I'm such a n00b. Prolly gonna get the RTFM from someone but never saw this feature listed. I had a 2016 Macan and 2016 Carrera GTS and both had this feature. So happy LOL :favorites13:

Is this only on the 802a's or all models, just wondering.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought 19+ had electric parking brake?

Mine has the step on release - much easier set up. Try to use it every once in a while so it doesn’t stick.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, I had that in my Porsches but doesn’t seem to work in my 2020 Raptor. I thought it sucked that it didn’t. I’ll have to try it again. In the Porsche it wouldn’t work if your seatbelt wasn’t buckled.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that myself although I thought I was crazy.

I’d really rather have the third pedal park brake. Not a fan of the electronic setup.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep my 2018 had the normal mechanical foot operated parking brake....which I’d prefer.....my new 2020 has the electronic & it must be all of em mines an 801a

another example of tech for tech’s sake as I say......doesn’t improve the driving experience nor make my life any easier & it’s just adding complexity to something that really doesn’t need to be overly complicated lol

I always put my truck in N before using parking brake so I can feel it engage & know that it’s really relieving pressure from the transmission, I would’ve thought you’d have to tug on the switch again to release like Audi but yeah I guess you just put in drive & it releases

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep my 2018 had the normal mechanical foot operated parking brake....which I’d prefer.....my new 2020 has the electronic & it must be all of em mines an 801a

another example of tech for tech’s sake as I say......doesn’t improve the driving experience nor make my life any easier & it’s just adding complexity to something that really doesn’t need to be overly complicated lol

I always put my truck in N before using parking brake so I can feel it engage & know that it’s really relieving pressure from the transmission, I would’ve thought you’d have to tug on the switch again to release like Audi but yeah I guess you just put in drive & it releases

I thought the same thing when they first came out, but there are actually a number of advantages over a traditional lever/pedal setup. It eliminates all of the drum-in-hat components (shoes, backing plate, lever assembly, retaining pins) since it uses the caliper, it eliminates the parking brake cables (which can seize, snap, or freeze at higher mileage), and it has higher holding capacity than a manual setup. I have parked my truck on some steep inclines and set the electronic parking brake before putting it in park, and the truck doesn’t budge.

On other vehicles, I’m used to applying the parking brake, hearing the creaking noise as the truck starts to roll, and then pushing the parking brake pedal further to try and secure it before engaging the parking pawl.

As far as complexity, the system uses the ABS module which is already on the truck anyway, and the wires to the caliper motors are run through the existing harness for the wheel speed sensors, so nothing really new there.