Help me decide 801a or 802a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vladi

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to decide on which package to get. My gut feeling is to get the 801a and add the diff, 360 camera, and led mirrors and not worry about all the other things that are mostly nice to have's and will be potential problems. I will use the truck mostly for baja / desert trips around San Diego area. I will also replace my current audi a4 backup to my daily driver ktm 690 supermoto. This is also a reason I am going for a truck to haul my 690 to different races like the LA Barstow to Vegas.

Stuff I am including after 801a:
* Torsen frond diff
* BLIS for the sheer size of the truck
* upgrade to the mirrors for the auto dimming night driving ( LED Lights)
* Bed LED lights
* Tailgate Step ( not sure this is really needed but if anyone knows if it makes loading bikes up this tall beast let me know )
* 360 Camera's for parking between rocks, cliffs and the occasional contested urban parking
* Trailer brake controller for towing

Now after including all of those the truck is 4500 less than getting 802a.

Why I do not want most of the things in 802a:
* In general more electronics more problems especially when you go off road a lot and dust and water starts getting everywhere. Not to mention the constant rattling.
* Also weight savings
* cooled power driver and passenger seats with power lumbar and memory ( heated seats were nice when I lived in Michigan but now that I am in San Diego never needed cooled steats or wished I had them )
* Power-adjustable pedals ( In general adding power to simple things that are easilty adjusted manually with little effor is in my mind a waste and potential things to break )
* 8-inch LCD touch screen in center stack ( only option missing out of 801a that I would like from 802a )
* Advanced Security Pack, Ambient Lighting, Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature (DEATC), Power tilt/telescoping steering column with memory ( again more complicated options that will be rarely used by me )
* Inflatable rear safety belts (SuperCrew® only) ( Getting SCAB )
* Memory System (seats, pedals, and exterior mirrors) ( I am the only driver so will not need memory for this )
* Intelligent Access with push-button start
* Power-folding, power glass sideview mirrors with heat, with turn signal, memory, driver’s side auto-dimming feature, and high-intensity LED security approach lamps with body-color skull caps ( I wish I could get the power folding mirrors but again not big loss here as I am getting the LED + Heat and auto dimming options with post 801a add on )
* Pro Trailer Backup Assist ( Never needed this in the past, I am sure its nice but with a 360 degree camera option I added I think it is mostly nice to have again not option I cant live without )
* Remote Start System with remote tailgate release ( I live in san diego now so not sure this will be used at all )
* Audio System from Sony® with HD Radio™ ( heard this is nothing to write home about and if the sound out of the 801a sucks I can always upgrade with after market )
* SiriusXM® Radio ( never had XM radio, I just have my own tunes on my phone )
* Universal Garage Door Opener ( dont have a garage )
* Voice-activate Navigation System ( I have a android phone or I can buy a android device and permanently stick it in to use android auto for most things )

So the question is.. Is the few options like power folding mirrors and 8 inch lcd in gauge cluster worth it for 4k and the possible problems with these ammendaties in the future?

Now for the SCAB vs SCREW and why I am choosing SCAB:

I think the SCAB is sufficient room in the back for me coming from a small German compact car. The fact that I live in a crowded city ( San Diego ). The fact that SCAB is lighter, and the smaller wheelbase should make the truck behave better ( not sure how much any inputs? ). I think on the road being more responsive to steering inputs and off road due to the higher center and better turning radius. If I need more room there is always a 5.5 bed I can work with to fit stuff. The fact that most of the time I will be driving by my self and or a friend. It is more important for me to get the lower weight and more responsive steering then have more room in the cab as I am more focused on driving pleasure not creature comforts :).

Last edited:

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have given it a lot of thought....more than I did....I just added options until it looked about right.....then went back and added some more in January.

OP
OP
V

vladi

Reaction score
Sounds like you have given it a lot of thought....more than I did....I just added options until it looked about right.....then went back and added some more in January.

Haha yeah maybe its OCD. Been reading a lot of good info on the forums here and in general f-150 truck info on the internet. I am a electrical engineer and know what happens with the electronics especially if not over engineered for the off road abuse this truck will get, all tho probably not from most of its owners. There are other things that worry me tho mainly the fact that it is first generation in the power train area :). Interior is been around in the f150's for a while so that is good bet that it should be solid, all tho the moon roof and cooled seats issues are all over the f150 forums. There is also the concern about reliability of the beast, especially coming from my 18 year old a4 that has been rock solid. But it seems that the previous generation raptor has been rock solid as well so that is a good sign :)

Last edited:

sea2jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For true off-roading, Scab. Lighter, faster and shorter. In my opinion, the Scab looks more balanced proportion wise with the 5.5 bed.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I would have liked the cooled seats, full leather seats, and memory seats, I absolutely do not want the other electrinic ********. Too much beeping at me and intruding on me and doing things for me. So I got the 801a + torsen front.

It is a lot more money for the 802a

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah maybe its OCD. Been reading a lot of good info on the forums here and in general f-150 truck info on the internet. I am a electrical engineer and know what happens with the electronics especially if not over engineered for the off road abuse this truck will get, all tho probably not from most of its owners. There are other things that worry me tho mainly the fact that it is first generation in the power train area :). Interior is been around in the f150's for a while so that is good bet that it should be solid, all tho the moon roof and cooled seats issues are all over the f150 forums. There is also the concern about reliability of the beast, especially coming from my 18 year old a4 that has been rock solid. But it seems that the previous generation raptor has been rock solid as well so that is a good sign :)

I am an EE as well, but electronics will be fine for me and labs to go to Starbucks.

Engine should be fine. Friend worked on Raptor program at Ford and he only saw one minor engine issue during testing. Transmission had some controller issues, but appears they have addressed. Seats little more supportive than standard F150. I have had cooled seats in two Lincoln Navigators since 2003 and never an issue. For every complaint on the moonroof, there are many others that say no problem....but I can see why might not want run if run / jump hard.

Pick what makes you happy for the $ you want to spend, then sit back, be happy and ignore all those that have nothing good to say about anything.

OP
OP
V

vladi

Reaction score
While I would have liked the cooled seats, full leather seats, and memory seats, I absolutely do not want the other electrinic ********. Too much beeping at me and intruding on me and doing things for me. So I got the 801a + torsen front.

It is a lot more money for the 802a

Yup I am not a huge fan off features just for the sake of competing with other brands. So you are saying the 801a does not have leather seats?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
all thing being equal, the more well provisioned the truck is when you buy it, the more value it will hold when you sell or trade it. I have an 802A, and most of the 802A package is convenience. Memory seats - nifty when I swap with the wife. Remote start, easy entry, etc. are nice, but not needed. I really like the cameras, BLIS. Tailgate step ought to be included IMO, and I’m glad I have it. I know at some point some needy neighbor or relative will cajole me into some kind of hauling duty...

as to SCAB v SCREW, the room on the SCREW is spacious, Bigfoot could sit in the rear seat with Mrs. Bigfoot and the Bigfoot family pet and still have room leftover. If you don’t need that cab room, by all means go with the smaller cab.

It kind of depends on how your A4 was provisioned and what you’re accustomed to, and it seems to me that you have a keen idea of what you need vs. want vs. ok to have.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer the 802, as I think the Lariat has a similar option(502a?) and I find features like cooled seats beneficial to my needs and location. However, if you aren't crazy about cooled seats or the dash, no need to spend 4k more for the 802A.

Think the 801A and the added features are good enough for your situation.
JMO