Oil Filters Revealed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Birdman and his obsession with oil and oil changing, lol........seriously though, good info. Personally I run what ever they run in racing, like Nascar, or long haul trucking, which happens to be WIX.......also FYI I worked at a Firestone in high school and quick-oil change place in college for over a year, FRAM filters are the WORST!!!!!! They are also known for collapsing too.....apparently I'm repeating some info, guess I should have read the whole thing first

Holy smokes, I like your avatar!:weld:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I made the comparison years ago and settled on Mobil 1 fiters. Pick up any other filter in one hand and the same application Mobile 1 filter in the other hand, and weigh them comparatively. The Mobile 1 filter is a hoss. I have used it on Nissan, Ford, GMC, and Buell products with great success for at least 15 years. In my humble opinion it's the best oil filter that's ever been on the market.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the comparison years ago and settled on Mobil 1 fiters. Pick up any other filter in one hand and the same application Mobile 1 filter in the other hand, and weigh them comparatively. The Mobile 1 filter is a hoss. I have used it on Nissan, Ford, GMC, and Buell products with great success for at least 15 years. In my humble opinion it's the best oil filter that's ever been on the market.

Agreed. Mobil 1 filters here too.

Sure they cost more than the standard, but so does the Mobil 1 oil.

I figure, they cost $5 more than a regular filter.

I change my oil 4 times a year.

$5x4 = $20 extra.

Over a 5 year span, thats only $100 over a regular filter.

.....I think our high performance Raptors are worth it!!! :peace:

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a while Mobil 1 had an excellent synthetic media; I still think it's a good filter.

But..

The Wix/Napa Gold are some of the most consistently and best manufactured units.

The Amsoil (sic) EA series *are* mfg. by Donaldson, which are now (In my opinion) the best overall unit on the market (and I don't push Amsoil; I just like Donaldson filtration and this is the only way to get it.)

Once the Zddp levels have dropped out of the oils, it's been a crapshoot.

M1 is ok, but go with the Ext. Performance.

Motorcraft (i'm going to get flamed) is some of the worst. If you take the time to do your own oil analysis and study up, you'll figure it out.

I'll put it this way... their 5-50 spec for the GT500 pretty much breaks down to a 5-40 around the 2000mi mark.

Last edited:

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm im thinking of putting on a canton mecca spin on if i can figure out which one will work. Anyone bother doing that yet?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally, I have always used OEM filters. If there is ever an issue, they can't give you a beating over the filter.

Lately Ford really, really pushes regular scheduled maintenance on these trucks (and the Super Duty Diesel). On my SuperDuty, I just changed the oil, air and both fuel/water filters and are all Motorcraft. If you buy em right, they are cheap as anything out there.

I have seen and heard toooooooooo many times about Ford giving someone grief on a warranty claim for lack of maintenance, or something else. If I buy the stuff they recommend and sell, I can't go wrong.

Same goes for the other makes I've owned.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know ruger said that the weight of mobil 1 filters were heavy and wow! He was right. I just changed the oil yesterday. Was going to get my K&N filter like usual and they had a deal on filters and oil by mobil. Couldn't pass it up so I did it. Took both filters out looked at them and right off hand the first thing I thought of was the weight. Plus after only 5 k with mobil 1 syn and a K&N filter my oil was fairly dirty looking. I'm Hoping for better results with the mobil extended performance I think number is np-210

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They had a guy on SVTP in the GT500 section that did many oil tests for almost every oil out there used on the Shelby & Amsoil always put up the best numbers, & mobil 1 was always right behind it.