Oil Consumption Issues with 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this is scary 1100 miles any thoughts ? Not even in the hash Mark's! I just put oil in it and will monitor closely I have no oil leaks so could it just be low from the factory ? Why didnt the dealer check ? Lot of questions in my mind on this one hope just low from the factory maybe there trying to save money keeping oil low ?
4ed73d35fe2fe25d24e74ae95fa41409.jpg
45b5a6b9df4e2e9a5bd87e6fb47d5b96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine when it was new and it was only at half full with the factory fill so yours probably hasn't used much, I would keep a close eye on it.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine when it was new and it was only at half full with the factory fill so yours probably hasn't used much, I would keep a close eye on it.
That's crazy oh well I'm gonna watch it like a hawk !!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ford only filled it to the middle of the hash marks. I didn’t check but I think that my oil level was somewhere in the middle. I did add some MC 5w30 just to top up to get me to the first oil change interval.

Maybe they expect the dealer to fill the rest. You know that’s not gonna happen lol

Turbo Subes can be finicky with oil brand. For some reason, Mobil 1 burned off. Most owners had success with Motul and Amsoil.

I found that switching from 5w30 weight to 5w40 Rotella T6. I was able to run it 5k miles with very minute to no loss.

I just did my first change with Rotella T6 5w30 so hopefully my Raptor like it. I’ll run 5w30 for now while under warranty but may switch to 5w40.

Last edited:

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if Ford only filled it to the middle of the hash marks.

Maybe they expect the dealer to fill the rest. You know that’s not gonna happen lol
I guess for 70k plus we don't get a full oil fill !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess now that I think about it I'm pretty stupid for not checking when I got the truck I remember thinking about it but probably thought its gotta be ok . well the factory and the dealer both missed it and that's pretty pathetic when you think about it. Hopefully no damage occurred from it I guess time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My very late 2018 used ~no oil over its first 5k mile interval. It's not abused, but I damn sure don't baby it.

Some of my other high performance engines have use some oil depending on how hard I'm driving them, but usually <= 1qt/3k miles, and it's been documented to be common for them on enthusiast forums. Whether or not I'd consider it acceptable for a particular engine would depend on what I read in various forums.

1qt/1k miles would have me raising hell.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have already pointed out - hopefully it is just a case of whomever did the oil fill-up not putting in enough. No need to really panic about engine issues until you get a chance to measure the "before" before observing the after.