Oil Consumption Issues with 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
False. Of course there are isolated instances of oil use. Just like any other vehicle. Percentage wise it is actually lower than other vehicles. You hear more people venting. Only due to the number of 3.5s out there.

Sam

You do realize the problem is large enough that Ford issued a TSB for this, right?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why are you guys on here, you offer nothing constructive, we all get you don’t like the Raptor, please go to a forum for something you like
You do realize there is 5 FRF bans between those two, right?

It takes a $hit ton of abuse to get banned on FRF, but those two managed to do it and ‘squelch has been banned 3 or 4 times, I’ve lost count. Plus, ‘squatch runs a few different FRF user id’s at a time to amplify her message.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You do realize there is 5 FRF bans between those two, right?

It takes a $hit ton of abuse to get banned on FRF, but those two managed to do it and ‘squelch has been banned 3 or 4 times, I’ve lost count. Plus, ‘squatch runs a few different FRF user id’s at a time to amplify her message.

Are these two the same person? That would make sense. I kind of figured they were probably brothers on the spectrum, sharing a laptop, rubbing peckers and high fiving each other, in a basement somewhere.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't think @SSWIM knows much :rolleyes:

I know enough not to buy a rebel. BTW. I have 3 facilities with 17 technicians. We work on more 3.5s than you can count sunshine. So, yea, I do have a little experience with them. Who's your huckleberry now. Of course you will have some dim wit retort that shows your true character. So fire away. I'm sure we are all waiting with baited breath to hear your incredible insight.

Sam

JoeRaptor18

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I have seen a few postings regarding the 3.5s and issues with oil consumption. During my last oil change, with an interval of ~6000 miles, I was only able to drain 3.5qts of oil. I left the vehicle on level ground and let it drain for 1 hr, and even cut open the oil filter to ensure I got everything possible out.

Attached is a picture, left oil cans are what I put in the engine during the last oil change, the right is what I was able drain out.

I stopped by my local dealer today and described the issue, shared the photos, and mentioned SSM 47532 which reportedly describes oil consumption issues with the 3.5. The service manager stated that he was unable to find the aforementioned SSM but also stated that the consumption of 2.5 qts over 6000 miles is acceptable, and expected.

My jaw just about hit the floor, hopefully it is not unreasonable to assume that a new 2018 raptor would not consume over 1/3 of its oil capacity over 2/3 of the oil service interval. The dealer did agree to monitor and note the oil levels at 900 mile intervals until the next oil change.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or ability to corroborate the existence of SSM 47532?

View attachment 116050