Oil Consumption Issues with 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18BlueScrew

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I have seen a few postings regarding the 3.5s and issues with oil consumption. During my last oil change, with an interval of ~6000 miles, I was only able to drain 3.5qts of oil. I left the vehicle on level ground and let it drain for 1 hr, and even cut open the oil filter to ensure I got everything possible out.

Attached is a picture, left oil cans are what I put in the engine during the last oil change, the right is what I was able drain out.

I stopped by my local dealer today and described the issue, shared the photos, and mentioned SSM 47532 which reportedly describes oil consumption issues with the 3.5. The service manager stated that he was unable to find the aforementioned SSM but also stated that the consumption of 2.5 qts over 6000 miles is acceptable, and expected.

My jaw just about hit the floor, hopefully it is not unreasonable to assume that a new 2018 raptor would not consume over 1/3 of its oil capacity over 2/3 of the oil service interval. The dealer did agree to monitor and note the oil levels at 900 mile intervals until the next oil change.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or ability to corroborate the existence of SSM 47532?

IMG_20181203_155247.jpg

OP
OP
18BlueScrew

18BlueScrew

Reaction score
I unwisely did not check the dipstick prior to draining the oil. After the refill of 6 qts the dipstick showed the appropriate amount of oil with the level being about 3/4 between min and max.

I will be checking the dipstick level every 900 miles with the dealer until the next oil change.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A quick google search for SSM 47532 says that your engine would throw a code along with excessive oil consumption.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I have seen a few postings regarding the 3.5s and issues with oil consumption. During my last oil change, with an interval of ~6000 miles, I was only able to drain 3.5qts of oil. I left the vehicle on level ground and let it drain for 1 hr, and even cut open the oil filter to ensure I got everything possible out.

Attached is a picture, left oil cans are what I put in the engine during the last oil change, the right is what I was able drain out.

I stopped by my local dealer today and described the issue, shared the photos, and mentioned SSM 47532 which reportedly describes oil consumption issues with the 3.5. The service manager stated that he was unable to find the aforementioned SSM but also stated that the consumption of 2.5 qts over 6000 miles is acceptable, and expected.

My jaw just about hit the floor, hopefully it is not unreasonable to assume that a new 2018 raptor would not consume over 1/3 of its oil capacity over 2/3 of the oil service interval. The dealer did agree to monitor and note the oil levels at 900 mile intervals until the next oil change.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or ability to corroborate the existence of SSM 47532?

View attachment 116050
I've owned 50 year old cars with high miles on them and they didn't use that much oil. I've never had a new car that required adding ANY oil between changes.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
manufacturers have very generous oil consumption thresholds for -all- engine platforms. Be cautious though, the manual tells you to regularly check the oil, not just at the oil change interval, so if you notice it going down too low, take it in to the dealer and make a thing of it. Don’t take it to the CEL and engine seizure thinking they’ll have to cover it under warranty. Do it the right way.

maybe send a sample to blackstone labs and see if anything unusual is reported.

Megabass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate the damn dipstick on these G2. I dont know about you guys, but my dipstick looks like Jackson ******* art when I pull it out.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was an engineer at for from 08-10 and our standard was 1 qt per 1500 miles is "acceptable" although everyone in powertrain engineering agreed this was absurd. If an ecoboost 3.5 or 3.7 is using that much oil there is an underlying concern, hate to say. Dealer can run oil consumption tests. They anti-tamper/torque-stripe the dip stick, drain plug and oil filter and tell you to come back after X miles to measure consumption. If you're upset you can request a FSE and escalate it.

gobie18

Reaction score
I had my 2018 since August and put 5500 miles on it, original oil which I need to change but the truck has not burn any oil at least according to the dip stick.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2018 since August and put 5500 miles on it, original oil which I need to change but the truck has not burn any oil at least according to the dip stick.

same here. June 2018 build 3700 miles dip stick shows full, still on factory oil.