Oil Consumption Issues with 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I have seen a few postings regarding the 3.5s and issues with oil consumption. During my last oil change, with an interval of ~6000 miles, I was only able to drain 3.5qts of oil. I left the vehicle on level ground and let it drain for 1 hr, and even cut open the oil filter to ensure I got everything possible out.

Attached is a picture, left oil cans are what I put in the engine during the last oil change, the right is what I was able drain out.

I stopped by my local dealer today and described the issue, shared the photos, and mentioned SSM 47532 which reportedly describes oil consumption issues with the 3.5. The service manager stated that he was unable to find the aforementioned SSM but also stated that the consumption of 2.5 qts over 6000 miles is acceptable, and expected.

My jaw just about hit the floor, hopefully it is not unreasonable to assume that a new 2018 raptor would not consume over 1/3 of its oil capacity over 2/3 of the oil service interval. The dealer did agree to monitor and note the oil levels at 900 mile intervals until the next oil change.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or ability to corroborate the existence of SSM 47532?

View attachment 116050
I only have 1100 miles on mine but I'm sure going to keep an eye on it from now on !!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 with no oil use issues. It has 6,000 miles and is ready for oil change 2. On first oil change at 3k miles oil was showing full on dipstick. I do my own oil changes as well. Fnding out our Raptors have a plastic oil pan with a yellow plastic quarter turn drain plug was a disappointment on a $75k truck! Are people having problems with seal leaking around the plastic oil pan?

Would an aftermarket oil seperator help with the oil usage issue? Is there a Service Bulletin to get the new rocker covers with oil baffles installed?

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
I changed my oil at the specified svc interval (10K), did not check level prior to draining but fairly sure about 6qts came out of it - it filled up the drain pan. I currently have 16k on it, will chk level to see if it is disappearing but I doubt it.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 with no oil use issues. It has 6,000 miles and is ready for oil change 2. On first oil change at 3k miles oil was showing full on dipstick. I do my own oil changes as well. Fnding out our Raptors have a plastic oil pan with a yellow plastic quarter turn drain plug was a disappointment on a $75k truck! Are people having problems with seal leaking around the plastic oil pan?

Would an aftermarket oil seperator help with the oil usage issue? Is there a Service Bulletin to get the new rocker covers with oil baffles installed?

Yes, Ford is having problems with the plastic pan. It got so bad they switched to a metal pan in mid 2018.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford Raptor Forum is having a problem with sasquatch77. it got so bad that she’s been banned 4 separate times. Soon to be 5...

Jackkk

Reaction score
2018 / 16000 miles / 4400 mi. into oil life, dipstick shows full. Using Royal Purple. Maybe switch up the name brand oil you are using and compare results.

Snobrdr37

Reaction score
Going on a road trip soon. So I decided to check the oil again, about 1500 miles after the most recent oil change. The oil level is 1/4 below max. When I checked it at 750 miles after the oil change, it was at max. I’m going to bring this in, after the trip, and see what they say.just going to continually check the oil and top it off until then.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a little over 1000 miles since I installed the JLT catch can, here’s how much oil had collected. Seems pretty typical.

cf61897a63902e984a0e504af5bb8cd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With a little over 1000 miles since I installed the JLT catch can, here’s how much oil had collected. Seems pretty typical.

cf61897a63902e984a0e504af5bb8cd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had that much with less than 1000 miles. Mine also had some water in it, white milky.