Oil change on late production 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious to learn more about what this particular step is for.
I've changed oil a long time but never done that.

Great DIY thread by the way.
Thx

The idea behind filling the new filter with oil allows the fresh oil to travel quicker at startup to necessary areas in the engine. There is a lot of debate over this practice.

I like filling the new filter with oil as well. I usually fill it to 2/3rds and then spin it on. This works well when the filter is vertical. Oil doesn’t spill out when you install it.

On the Raptor, you can just soak the filter media and not fill it too much since the filter is horizontal.

Do what works for you.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea behind filling the new filter with oil allows the fresh oil to travel quicker at startup to necessary areas in the engine. There is a lot of debate over this practice.

I like filling the new filter with oil as well. I usually fill it to 2/3rds and then spin it on. This works well when the filter is vertical. Oil doesn’t spill out when you install it.

On the Raptor, you can just soak the filter media and not fill it too much since the filter is horizontal.

Do what works for you.

Understand ... Thanks my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Johny said and exactly what I did. I also see it as priming the pump in a way.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always run my finger around the threads of the filter. I have pulled out metal from threads on both k&n and Mobil1 filters. The Amsoil filter was in plastic shrink wrap, the threads were clean. I also pour fresh oil into the filter to soak the element for the same reasons as listed above. Thank you speeddeacon for posting that valve, it will make future oil changes much easier.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F107xs is better as you can point the nipple down or any way you want it >> https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f107sx.html

I will post pics when I install mine.

I just ordered this one. Thx for posting.

Appears that there may be a slight advantage to this one (no gasket needed and the directional ability), hence the new version.

Due to the minor price increase, seems worth it to me....although both seem great.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have used Fumoto on many cars (last 10 cars). On the the last 5 cars I switched to the sx series and I will never switch back. Having the ability to point the nipple down and also at any angle gives you a huge advantage. I can have my catch container right under the nipple turn the valve on and walk away. 30 mins later, come back and close the valve. No mess.

I just ordered this one. Thx for posting.

Appears that there may be a slight advantage to this one (no gasket needed and the directional ability), hence the new version.

Due to the minor price increase, seems worth it to me....although both seem great.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to the magnetic drain plugs if they are available for these vehicles? Or who makes them?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to the magnetic drain plugs if they are available for these vehicles? Or who makes them?

Try Dimple magnets. For the oil pan they’re just meh and don’t do much.

Great for the rear diff if it doesn’t have one already.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Having the ability to point the nipple down and also at any angle gives you a huge advantage. I can have my catch container right under the nipple turn the valve on and walk away. 30 mins later, come back and close the valve. No mess.

So you don’t use a hose then?