Off road GPS options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not very active on the forum, but I do appreciate reading all the contributions from those who are—thanks! I've owned my 2014 for a couple years now, and I'm finally starting to get it dirty on a regular basis. I'm wondering about the best options for satellite (non-cellular) GPS for these trucks. The nav systems work great way out in the boonies, but the maps have no trail information, so I just use my paper maps. Frustrating though, knowing the tech is already in the truck. Does any company offer an update for our SYNC systems that includes trail maps?

If not, I'm wondering what is the most popular, relatively low-cost unit that you all use. I'm guessing some sort of Garmin unit, but this is all new to me.

Thanks very much!

-Sean

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Like Lowrance HDS 9 Carbon with External Antenna ,I Just got a new trail map from rugged routes for Arizona very detailed. Plus Kenwood Radio

Thanks! I'll check that out. Your truck looks like a beast. Looking to do a whipple kit at some point myself.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Don't waste the space and expense of a Lowrance. They work well offroad, but are useless for anything else. If you have an Iphone or Ipad, get the MotionX HD app, it works flawlessly and was either a free app or cost $5 or $10.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a GPS receiver only, not what you need. I would start with LeadNav for iOS if you are not logging thousands of Offroad miles a year. IPads have GPS built in you just need to download the app, copy some google maps, and load the trail before your head out. Get a Ram mount that attaches to the windshield and you are ready to rip. If you are using the truck a good amount the convenience of a Lowrance then makes sense. The HDS7 is adequate, and the new Lowrance units have a built-in receiver and do not require the One Point external antenna. Most see a 7-inch screen as a better option vs the 9 inch. The 7-inch screen size is fine, your only following an arrow on the screen after all, and the 9 takes up valuable space.

Somewhere in Baja:

IMG_0563.jpeg the 9. The

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a GPS receiver only. I have lots of iOS devices, from iPads to iPhones, Apple Watch, etc. Seems that with the GAIA app, my iPhone or tablet, and this device, I should be good to go, right?

BTW, my iPad is pretty old, so MAYBE it has GPS built in? I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It is a GPS receiver only. I have lots of iOS devices, from iPads to iPhones, Apple Watch, etc. Seems that with the GAIA app, my iPhone or tablet, and this device, I should be good to go, right?

BTW, my iPad is pretty old, so MAYBE it has GPS built in? I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

the xgps160 is what you want if your goal is to use leadnav on an ipad. Ipad internal gps receivers update approx once per second, which at 60mph is about every 90 feet or so. Not quite fast enough. The xgps updates 27 times a second ( or something close), so you can successfully use it to mark waypoints.

Most mapping files are going to be furnished in lowrance or leadnav format.

I plan to carry an ipad mini4 with leadnav and an xgps160 as a backup when i head to baja with exo in Feb. I just bought one of the new lowrance "live" units and I'm not certain how well it is going to work just yet. I know my leadnav works just fine with the xgps though.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the lowrance units because they are built for boats , so the reliability is pretty high , waterproof , shock proof , extreme temps. I pad is a good secondary option , i look at it if it fails or screen is broken i don't want to be lost out in middle of arizona desert especially at night . I know you should not rely on a electronic device for sole navigation. I still have the factory nav and a magnetic compass.

As far as size it all on how you mount it . I modified a mount made for a 7 to fit the 9 and it sits lower now than my old hds5 did, top of unit is even with the front hood line so it blocks no visibility whatsoever on my set up. Plus i can remove it from mount in about 45 second vs. some of the mount that are more permanent for Lowrances .

Last edited:
OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowrange does sound like a great system. This is new to me, but the more I read, I can see that the GPS function is the easy part. It's having the maps available that is the weak link in most systems. I think it's absurb that with all the nav capabilities in the trucks, they can't provide some off-road mapping? I mean, THESE ARE RAPTORS!!! Good for the aftermarket I guess. Thanks for all the replies!