Off road GPS options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Garmin GPS (bluetooth) and an Ipad pro with Gia on it. There are all kinds of maps available, including Satellite, and it easy to save trails and share trails. Many of my off road friends with Jeeps use it.

I think it's enough for me, for now. I'm getting comfortable downloading the maps, and they work well. Also, some local jeep guys upload nice trail maps, which I have been able to download from Google maps, and import into GAIA. Overall, I am very impressed with GAIA for my purposes. I'm out on Lake Mead a lot too, and the lake maps are really good.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I phone and

“Here wego” app, its free, and after you download the free map, its completly usable offline with just the gps in the phone.

Believe me, it has saved me, offline, in a Middle East country.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Lowrange does sound like a great system. This is new to me, but the more I read, I can see that the GPS function is the easy part. It's having the maps available that is the weak link in most systems. I think it's absurb that with all the nav capabilities in the trucks, they can't provide some off-road mapping? I mean, THESE ARE RAPTORS!!! Good for the aftermarket I guess. Thanks for all the replies!

The reason that I broke down a bought a lowrance was while i liked the way leadnav functions more, after pricing what a satellite hot spot, and considering how large the antenna needs to be for anything above 56Kps modem speeds, coupled with the cost for maintaining the service, I wasn't really interested in equipping my truck with one to provide the same sort of mapping function.

With the hds7-Live, it is also wifi enabled, so If i need to download something for the next day, i can piggyback it off of my phone once in cell service, or sit in the parking lot of the hotel and do it.

It would be awesome if lowrance or leadnav wrote an app that could be purchased and installed to use the factory screen. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for that. ( but even if that was a "thing" i'd still bring the xgps160 and ipad as a backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter