No Synthetic until 15k miles??? Why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I called up my Ford dealer this morning to ask about the recommended oil change intervals.

I got my Owner's Card in the mail yesterday and it states to go 6 months or 7500 miles before first visit.

I want to run synthetic in my truck but the deal said that I need to run regular oil for 15,000 miles to give the seals and gaskets time to "Settle" in otherwise I'm opening myself up for leaks if I go to synthetic this soon.

FYI: I have 2,100 miles on it. 1,600 of those were put on it in the first two days from driving it home from El Paso to Rochester, MN.

Any and all advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
When calling a dealer and speaking to say, a service advisor, you may or may not be talking to someone who knows their stuff. With all due respect to that position, it's not like they have to be all that car/truck savy to do their job. I've seen service advisors come and go, like any position at a dealership (ANY DEALER OR MANUFACTURER, for the record) and some were very knowledgable about the field and some were pretty new and winging it. I've seen a service advisor cover the phone and ask a lot attendant about something before. There's been guys on here that have had great service and some that were told "huh, never heard of one of those"......so just take that for what it's worth. That being said, lol......no, you do not have to wait that long to run a full synthetic in these trucks, or any car/truck anymore. Keep in mind that the oil that comes in there stock and used at changes is a semi-synthetic already and has a very good reputation.

emahler

Reaction score
From what I've read this was a problem with some of the first synthetics(70's and 80's). Synthetics now have additives to keep your seals from shrinking.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I switched at 10,000 on the supercab I used to have. I just hit 6,600 on the crewcab and plan on switching at next oil change as well, being 10,000.

I think I am going to run the Mobil 1 5w20 again.

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called up my Ford dealer this morning to ask about the recommended oil change intervals.

I got my Owner's Card in the mail yesterday and it states to go 6 months or 7500 miles before first visit.

I want to run synthetic in my truck but the deal said that I need to run regular oil for 15,000 miles to give the seals and gaskets time to "Settle" in otherwise I'm opening myself up for leaks if I go to synthetic this soon.

FYI: I have 2,100 miles on it. 1,600 of those were put on it in the first two days from driving it home from El Paso to Rochester, MN.

Any and all advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Just run the standard Ford Motorcraft Synthetic blend and change it when the light comes on. Everything else is hype. :waytogo:

Someone on the F150 forums posted a comparison of Mobil1 to the motorcraft stuff. The difference wasn't worth the cost.

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanx for the responses....

I'll hold off for a while. I probably won't hit 5,000 until next spring. With that said, I'll probably have it changed around November/December I'm thinking...

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Waiting on full synth until 5k-10k is very old school thinking. In the "old" day full synth was too slippery to allow the piston rings to properly seat. Ring material and oil compisition have changed significantly in today's engines. Many cars today come with full synth from the factory.

I switch to full synth on the Raptor at 500 miles.