No Key Detected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbishop98

Reaction score
Not sure what happened today guys. installed the gj-3rd brake light today. Everything went fine with the install. However, now both key fobs don't work. I'm kinda stumped. Disconnected the positive and negative terminals for about 5 min. and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
This is a gen2 right?

Do the doors unlock with the keyfob?

Apologies if you're already aware, but if you remove the rubber insert in the forward-most center console cupholder, there's a slot you can insert a fob into that will read the key directly and allow you to start the truck.

I think I read that the direct-reader in the cupholder is also the proximity reader for the RF key as well to start the truck though.

Also check both fuse panels of course.

OP
OP
J

jbishop98

Reaction score
This is a gen2 right?

Do the doors unlock with the keyfob?

Apologies if you're already aware, but if you remove the rubber insert in the forward-most center console cupholder, there's a slot you can insert a fob into that will read the key directly and allow you to start the truck.

I think I read that the direct-reader in the cupholder is also the proximity reader for the RF key as well to start the truck though.

Also check both fuse panels of course.

Both key fobs don't work by pressing them. Truck will start with no issues if I put the fob in the secondary start location in the cup holder. Which fuses should I be looking at?

Does anyone know where the keyless entry receiver is? I'm wondering if I damaged or unclipped a wire by pushing the 3rd brake light wiring harness through the rear headliner of the passengers side.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert, no real idea on which fuses. Looking at 2019 owner's manual it looks like interior panel's 18 or 24 might be candidates, possibly/unlikely 25, 26.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres 2 plugs in the rear of headliner. one on each side in the rear. but without knowing what was taken apart for the install, its hard to say where to look.

OP
OP
J

jbishop98

Reaction score
theres 2 plugs in the rear of headliner. one on each side in the rear. but without knowing what was taken apart for the install, its hard to say where to look.

I removed the 3rd brake light and fished the wiring through the upper rear passenger side headliner with a wired coat hanger. I'm thinking I snagged something when I was pulling the hanger back out. How far back in the headliner are these plugs you're referring to?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I removed the 3rd brake light and fished the wiring through the upper rear passenger side headliner with a wired coat hanger. I'm thinking I snagged something when I was pulling the hanger back out. How far back in the headliner are these plugs you're referring to?

The Remote Transceiver Module (RTM) is located in the passenger side of the headliner next to the Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL). The RTM receives the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) data from the key fob and transmits it to the BCM for functions such as lock/unlock, panic, tailgate release, etc. The RTM also interprets the high frequency signal from the key fob to allow for the passive start to function.

From your description, the RTM or it's connection was damaged during the installation, or your coat hanger contacted the back side of the connector and opened a fuse. Start by checking Fuse F32 in the BCM. This fuse provides power to the RTM and APIM (Sync Module). If the fuse is good, lower the headliner and inspect the RTM and it's harness and connection.

The BCM is #1 and the RTM is #2 in the illustration:

View media item 14994

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jbishop98

Reaction score
The Remote Transceiver Module (RTM) is located in the passenger side of the headliner next to the Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL). The RTM receives the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) data from the key fob and transmits it to the BCM for functions such as lock/unlock, panic, tailgate release, etc. The RTM also interprets the high frequency signal from the key fob to allow for the passive start to function.

From your description, the RTM or it's connection was damaged during the installation, or your coat hanger contacted the back side of the connector and opened a fuse. Start by checking Fuse F32 in the BCM. This fuse provides power to the RTM and APIM (Sync Module). If the fuse is good, lower the headliner and inspect the RTM and it's harness and connection.

The BCM is #1 and the RTM is #2 in the illustration:

View media item 14994

Thank you for this info! Unfortunately, I can't access your link.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for this info! Unfortunately, I can't access your link.

Not sure why its not shared...anyone know how to change that setting?

Can you see the image below?

full